Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a ZZ502 Deluxe crate engine from summitracing, brand new with 24 month/50,000 mile warranty from GM Performance Parts. Had it installed at a professional shop that is local to me (won't put them on blast yet, gonna give them a chance to make this right). I'm assuming since they have installed over 20 of them before and have been open for 30 years that they followed proper break-in procedure. After 300 miles my carburetor went bad (was the factory Holley 870), replaced it and the engine ran fine. At 500 miles had break-in oil changed and regular oil put in at shop that installed the engine. The engine lasted 300 miles after break in and developed a rattling noise between 2,000-2,500 RPM, I brought it to him, the next day he calls me and he pulled the engine and was already pulling apart the bottom end to see what was wrong. He determined that the bearings failed due to lack of lubrication, consequently ruining a brand new forged steel crank and brand new bearings. Now he is saying GM won't cover this failure and I now have to pay 4-500$ for machine work and foot the bill for labor of reassembly and installation. Just putting my experience out there, if you were thinking about getting a crate engine I would highly reconsider. These warranties aren't what they seem, and these 500 horsepower crate engines aren't what they seem, my mechanic is blaming me for driving it too hard (only reason i bought the engine was he said it was reliable power with a warranty). I never even got to replace the tires so clearly I didn't drive it all that hard because that engine was more than capable of destroying a set of 275s.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: One more disgruntled victim of GM's poor quality Crate Engines. Needless to say GM should step up and fix this carp. While GM is (to my knowledge) no longer making BB crate engines, they should see the writing on the wall:

DON'T BUY GM PERFORMANCE PARTS CRATE ENGINES.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
Man that really really sucks, why wont they "GM" or Summit back it up? I'd be flipping my lid that had to be over 8K for the engine plus installation, all I'v heard is 1 of the 454 using a lot of oil, something with low tension rings I believe

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
They are junk no doubt. I have a friend that had a 427 crate engine go bad and GM picked up the bill. GM refunded his money plus $800.00 on top. You need to get after GM and not take no for an answer.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,728 Posts
$9,400 I don't care how much $$$ someone has that is a lot of money, it's really crap when you put your money out there thinking your getting something dependable, nation wide warranty, drive into any GM dealer for warranty repair, or so I would think anyway, have you personally spoke with anyone or has your mechanic?, just curious

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$9,400 I don't care how much $$$ someone has that is a lot of money, it's really crap when you put your money out there thinking your getting something dependable, nation wide warranty, drive into any GM dealer for warranty repair, or so I would think anyway, have you personally spoke with anyone or has your mechanic?, just curious
Yeah, whole point I spent that kind of money was because I wanted to have a 500 horsepower daily driver that could be reliable and dependable. I took it into the shop where I had it installed, and he tore it apart and found the bearings and he will be documenting and sending photo evidence to GM. I spent an hour on the phone with a GM Performance parts rep yesterday and they pretty much gave me the run around telling me that my mechanic seems to be right in saying that they will not warranty this engine for this particular failure. My only hope is that the machine shop determines that the clearances for the main bearings were insufficient, then GM would have to take the motor back. But at this point in time I am preparing for a 500$ machining bill and about 2,000$ minimum for reassembly and installation. (he said he would give me a deal on this whatever that means.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man that really really sucks, why wont they "GM" or Summit back it up? I'd be flipping my lid that had to be over 8K for the engine plus installation, all I'v heard is 1 of the 454 using a lot of oil, something with low tension rings I believe
They being GM say that the bearing failure is due to lack of lubrication, oil level and oil pressure was good though. 7 quart baffled oil pan, oil pickup 1/2" from the bottom of the pan. My mechanic says its my fault for driving it hard, but why did i buy a crate engine with a warranty? sure as heck not to drive it like an old lady.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
I hope he can find and prove that they are at fault which we already know that, I would hope to think at the very least they would pay your mechanics bill, if they exchange the engine for another you could be in the same boat again, that's what I would be worried about, a total refund would probably be the best I think, if they do I would be talking to one of the engine builders here, just my opinion, rick.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
They sell a 500+ hp engine and think it's not going to get used? they should have an oil pan on it capable of handling it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They sell a 500+ hp engine and think it's not going to get used? they should have an oil pan on it capable of handling it
It should be able to handle some abuse, forged rotating assembly, you'd think that it could handle WOT.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I would contact summit racing first.
I also had a bearing delamination in my 454 H.O. crate motor from GM,but I had bought it directly from a dealership,it sat for awhile before I fired it up,and I took it apart at 2500 miles to find "the noise".
At this stage for you,I would contact summit first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I always hate to hear problems like this ,hard earned money deserves hard earned horsepower GM should take care of it I you cant drive them then whats the use .I hope for the best and good luck keep us posted

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Sorry you are going thru that man.....definitely call Summit, write to the president of the company if you have to. I was just looking at their 572 for my next build......will try to convince Chris Forno (Motorhead62) to build me another one instead..... If you are stuck with the engine, I would definitely recommend you contact him for someone you can trust to repair it. The 496 stroker he built for me 8 years ago is still going strong....

Thanks for the warning. let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would contact summit racing first.
I also had a bearing delamination in my 454 H.O. crate motor from GM,but I had bought it directly from a dealership,it sat for awhile before I fired it up,and I took it apart at 2500 miles to find "the noise".
At this stage for you,I would contact summit first.
I contacted them first thing, they gave me the direct number for the GM warranty department. The person I spoke to at GM for an hour was of no help. Gonna call Monday and ask for a manager

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
The more I think about this I'm surprised that they don't have a class action lawsuit against them over this, GM that is, or is there some type of disclosure when you buy one of these anchors?, I just read 4 pages of "bad experience with ZZ502" from '09, man do I feel your pain.

·
Premium Member
8,728 Posts
I missed "Negative Experience"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I think about this I'm surprised that they don't have a class action lawsuit against them over this, GM that is, or is there some type of disclosure when you buy one of these anchors?, I just read 4 pages of "bad experience with ZZ502" from '09, man do I feel your pain.
Yeah what is the point in a 50,000 mile 24 month warranty if you are going to pick and choose what parts are covered under warranty...800 miles is just unacceptable. The break-in procedure mentions nothing after the 500 mile oil change, so why would I not assume its properly broken in? my mechanic never told me otherwise until after the bearings went. I'm no expert....that's why I took it to the shop to have everything done.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bought a ZZ427 from Jegs 4 yrs ago, was another year before I got my car finished and on the road. After running it for a few months, had one lifter that would sometimes bleed down and tick when first started. I called my local GM dealer, spoke with service manager, he called GM Performance Parts at 1-800-450-4150. Within 1 week I had complete set of new lifters and gaskets at no cost to me. I opted to replace myself. That was 2 1/2 years and 12000 miles ago with zero issues since. I thought the warranty worked quite well! Give that number a try and see if they are still there

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Those motors really dont require that much of a break in to be honest.
Low tension rings...roller cam....
He knows he'll have to eat labor,but then again,he didnt build it either.
Can you post pics of the bearings?
My mechanic told me at just over 800 miles the motor was far from broken in, he claims 1,000-1,500 miles for break-in. But no where in the 20 page of instructions i got with the engine does it mention doing anything after the 500 mile oil change. He didn't mention this either until the bearings had already failed. Definitely not happy with him, I would have gladly opted for a rev limiter if he thought it would protect the motor, and that would have been labor money for him. I'll attempt to get pictures of the bearings tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts