Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took receipt of my ZZ4 from Burt Greenwald GM Performance Parts in Akron Ohio. I am in San Diego and the reason why I purchased it from Ohio, is because the local dealers here in San Diego were asking ridiculous prices for the same crate. They were asking anywhere between 4,100 and 5,400 for the same engine with no special reason for the mark-up. (Profit I guess). When I asked why the mark-up they all basically said, "that's what the computer says". When I asked would they match the price the other dealers are selling the same ZZ4 crate for, they just look at me and said "No". Even if they did match the price of 3,185, I stilled saved by purchasing the ZZ4 from out of state. The shipping cost was 225, which came to a total of 3,410. If I had purchased it here in San Diego, the tax would have brought the total price to 3,432. A saving of only 21 bucks, but that’s only if they would of matched the price. Oh well, their loss and my gain and the moral of this story is, “Do the research before doing any major purchase”. The Internet is a very powerful tool if used wisely.

Here are some pictures of the ZZ4 after I opened the crate. Should have it in my 67 and on the road by the end of this year.

chevelles.com/showroom/WilliamRoche1.jpg
chevelles.com/showroom/WilliamRoche2.jpg
chevelles.com/showroom/WilliamRoche3.jpg

------------------
William Roche
ACES #130, Gold #26
67 & 72 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by William Roche (edited 08-30-99).]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cool when are you gonna drop it in? Did you do all the reaserch from the companys webpages?

------------------
Owner of a 66 chevelle malibu.... might be on the road next year. I HOPE!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Damn, got my mouth watering. Actually with the aluminum heads, roller cam and complete engine, that is a decent buy, price wise. Careful with the angle plug heads, some (most) headers will bang into the number 3 (I think) plug. Did you check Texas at Scroggins/Dickey? They seem to be the big dogs in crate engines. Like to have that under my Christmas tree for sure. tom

·
Registered
287 Posts
William,

Congratulations on the new addition for your ride. You will have many pleasant memories from running that baby. I love mine and it is so well mannered on the street that it's hard to believe the ooommph that it has until you give it the juice.

I dropped a Holley 3310 on top and set the idle to 650 with the TH350 in there. Along with the 2200 stall converter and the stage-2 shift kit, it really hauls out well. A lesson learned though, make sure you have a good breather on the valve cover otherwise it will suck air through the worst places.

BTW: I used the Headman Ceramic Coated headers from Summit and they cleared everything perfectly around the engine. Had to make a small alteration for the A-arm flange for clearance purposes.

Enjoy!

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

[This message has been edited by Canuck64ss (edited 08-30-99).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
That's really weird....because I just picked up my ZZ430 from Sallee Chevrolet on the same day. It will be going in my '67 Elcamino Along with the "GM Performance" 4L60E.
Well.....I suppose it's time to dive into the garage and not return till it's on the road

·
Registered
994 Posts
Canuck64ss mentioned the use of Headman headers. I'll be using Hedmans 3/4 length, ceramic coated headers part # HED-68600. I need all the ground clearance I can get, plus they'll fit the "Fast Burn" heads & they have what is called a "D" port on the exhaust side and is raised .100". I'll have to cut my driveline down due to the 4L60E tranny being longer.
Wanna race????? To see who gets done first? You win

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
66 bowtie,

I plan on dropping the ZZ4 into the 67 in a month or so after I get done with some other goodies for the 67. I plan on converting the front drum to disc here soon. These are the dealers that I researched on the Web for my ZZ4:

Burt Greenwald
www.bgcperformanceparts.com

Jim Pace
www.paceparts.com

Sallee Chevrolet
www.sallee-chevrolet.com/index.html

Scoggin-Dickey
www.scoggindickey.com

I went with Burt Greenwald because they made me comfortable when I asked them questions via phone and E-Mail. The other dealer’s prices were either the same or close. I could have save even more from purchasing the ZZ4 from Scoggin-Dickey and save on shipping (175.00 from Texas to San Diego, compare to 225 from Ohio to San Diego). But like I said earlier, I went with Burt Greenwald because they made me feel comfortable. You on the other hand may feel comfortable with another dealer or supplier and saving a few bucks here or there may not mean a whole lot. Your gut will tell you…

Hope this helps.

------------------
William Roche
ACES #130, Gold #26
67 & 72 Chevelle

[This message has been edited by William Roche (edited 08-30-99).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Them there pictures are better than what I used to look at in those girlie mags when I was 12!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Have Fun!

I've had a ZZ4 in my shop truck-a '65 4 speed Camino for 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles. Put a 3310 on it & drove it away. Zero trouble, many a fine time. I've got an Edelbrock ProFlow I'm putting on it next-we'll see.

------------------

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
William, There has been a recall on your ZZ4 and I have been authorized to come by and pick it up, when will be a good time???

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
287 Posts
William,

You mention brakes... As you know, in 64 they didn't offer the better whoa option. When we installed the ZZ4 the decision was made, to make sure I could stop when required... (at least when I have too
) The brakes I used are from a 67 Velle with Stainless Steel sleeved calipers. The proportioning valve was donated by an F-Body and the master is a rebuilt unit for the 67.

Once I sorted out my 64 booster, everything works perfectly.

Hope it helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.