Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm considering updating to a ZZ4 and currently am runing a 307 with Hooker Comp headers(6 months old). Can I use these headers with the angle plug heads that come with the ZZ4 or should I buy new ones specifically for the ZZ4? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What model car are they going in? I run Hooker Super comps (1 3/4 primaries) on my ZZ3 in my 64 EC and they fit great, but I doubt the regular Hooker Competitions will work with the Angle plug heads.
Maybe someone else can tell you different.
Bill
PS, I recommend buying plain painted Super comps and then getting them Jet Hot Coated later after you checked them for fit and made any modifications. ie.. dents
I did have an impossible fit in the crossmember area though. (See the following posts).

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bill64EC (edited 01-02-99).]

·
Registered
227 Posts
I installed a ZZ3 350 crate engine in a 71 chevelle and used Hooker Super Comps. (2102's I think). They did not come down far enough to the ground to allow my lead pipes to clear the transmission crossmember when I tried to bolt them up. So I bought a set of Borla stainless steel headers through Summit and they fit great, clear the crossmember by an inch, and allow for easy spark plug access. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
71velle,
I had the same problem on my 64. The Hookers angled out so much from the centerline of the car that the exhaust humps in the crossmember weren't even close to being lined up. I had to build a new crossmember for mine. It works fine now but I should have returned mine for a refund.
Besides, the ceramic coating only lasted a year before it all came off. Hooker refused to make good on refinishing them. Maybe I'll go stainless,next time.:)
Bill

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bill64EC,

I would still recommend getting stainless headers coated by JET-HOT because the heat turned my stainless a lovely shade of brown
So, I took them off and sent them to JET-HOT to get coated inside and out. They look great.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
71velle,

Did you have to modify (dent) the Borla Headers? I just installed a ZZ4 in my 64 Chevelle and currently looking at buying new headers that fit! I was looking at the Sanderson cast headers.

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
No "custom modifications" were required on my '71. In fact I installed the entire stainless steel exhaust system that Borla makes and sells through summit and it fit perfectly.

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everybody for the info. Is anybody out there using the Dynomax headers? This was one of mypotential choices. By the way, Its going in my 72 Malibu with turbo 350 column shift.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Tino-
I'm using the dynomax headers and for me they fit very well on my smallblock(which is an original 327 from 64) I don't know if the same will apply to the new ZZ4's since my motor would be 35 years older than yours would be. One of my friends put Headmans on a 98 350-300 horse goodwrench engine and they fit very well also but he's also sporting them in a 63 1/2 ton pickup.

I know none of this may apply since the ZZ4's may be a different design but I thought I'd toss out some experiences.
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tino, sorry I just saw your post. I just went through the same thing w/my '72 350. I've got Canfield aluminum angle plug heads on it, nice heads but what a pig to plumb. I've got Hooker comps on it. Number 1&2 pipes won't clear plugs 3&4. My fix was to cut #1 tube and splice in a 3/4" section of new tube. Then use Bosch plugs. The metal body of the Bosch plugs is about 1/4" shorter than anyone else's. It works. The plug number is Bosch HR 6 DC, it's a taper seat, .704" reach plug. Accel also lists a shorty header plug in their catalog but nobody around me (SoCal) could find it. Good luck, the ZZ4 heads are great.

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
dont the zz4 heads have D-Port exhaust? dose any one make D-Port ex. headers? I am planning to install a ZZZ-350 H.O. in my 65 Malibu S.S. w/at. and looking for D-port headers

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I did put the sanderson cast headers (they have the D ports) on my 64 SS. The ZZ4 heads
are a fraction of an inch wider. I had to
heat the frame rails and make more room for the franges, but they are excellent looking cast iron headers and do not leak. I am glad that I bought them but my car is not close to stock. If you don't want to alter your frame rails, don't get these headers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.