Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
not quite sure what you mean by will it work. but it will bolt up to a TH 350 just fine with a zz4 flexplate and should work good with the 3:38 gears. If i recall you'll have to run an electric fuel pump no provision for fuel pump. well have fun

·
Registered
49 Posts
No you won't need an electric fuel pump. The ZZ4 has the standard provision for a mechanical pump. You may have to buy a new fuel pump rod though.
And yes, a 350 TH will work great behind your ZZ4 and will bolt right up.
I've been running a 350 TH out of a 76 Camaro that has seen two years of 1/2 mile dirt track racing before getting installed in my car behind my ZZ3 with nothing more than an oil change, shift kit, and a new converter.
It has also seen many dry pavement 2nd gear burnouts as well.
Bill

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I was more worried about the cam size and if a stock converter would handle the size/power combo with 3:36 gears.Would you go with a 600cfm or 750cfm carb??? Thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
well i ran a stock converter with my 427cu.in. and 2:73 posi with no problems. as for the carb g with the 600 cfm. it will perform much better on a mild small block than a 750.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can run a mechanical fuel pump..the engines don't come with one...there is a little block-off plate where it needs to go...just remove it. Ran a ZZ3 with a rebuilt TH350 with TCI 2500 converter and a 10 bolt posi w/2.73's with no problems for about a year ( what a top end! ) then I installed a 12 bolt posi w/3.90's ( what a difference! ). I went with a Holley 750 (model 3310 I think) with vac. secondaries right out of the box and have had no problems. This motor has good low end torque, the stock converter will work fine but one more in the range of 2200-2800 would be optimal I think. Just drop her in and drive it and only update the converter and and rear end gears if you want to or as money permits.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I see the other guys answered your tranny questions so I'll comment on the carb choice one. I have a 350/700R-4/3.73 posi combo and have just swapped out a Holley 600 which was always flakey in favor of a 780. What a difference! I'd say my engine is medium performance as it doesn't even have headers but now full acceleration feels like it should. I used to praise the 600 performance (over a Quadra-Jet) but now I wouldn't think of using another one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I should add that I run an Edelbrock RPM intake under a 750 Carter AFB and Hooker Super Comp headers (1 3/4" primaries) backing that is a 2 1/2" torque-tech system running through Walker Dynomax "Hemi" size mufflers.
I also installed a TCI breakaway converter that brake stalls at 2,900 rpm. I am running 3.08 gears and an Auburn Pro series limited slip.
I have tested my car with both the 625 AFB and 750 (both "tuned" for max performance) and the 750 is faster by a good bit. Throttle response is still very good too.
The rule about carb size should be taken with a grain of salt. You won't know for sure unless you test different carbs.
Hope this helps,
Bill

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.