Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a thread on alternator size and it made me remember a time when money was tight, brain was loose.

I did an alternator cutout years ago on my Buick powered 72 nova.
I routed the wires to kill the alternator under the dash..I did not have a toggle switch as I was 18 and money was tight.

So I just twisted them together.
CAUTION!
I had my arm through the steering wheel and my other arm wrapped around the floor shifter (chrome pinto shifter).

I got the Full effect of amperage!
That current had a hold of me and took about 2-3 seconds to get loose of it.
Only other time I was attached to Voltage was when welding in the misty morning. AC225 Lincoln on 90 amps.

The lead hit my arm and I was stuck chuck..NO burns but it took about 4 seconds to pull free.
All I thought in my head was Pull it OFF idiot!!! Harder than it sounds.
I have a high tolerance to electricity. I have been Zotted a lot.

Respect the amperage. :)

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
learned my respect at 16 trying to figure out which spark was bad. not many tools and less knowledge I figured I would just pull off each plug wire and the one that didn't change the idle was the one. course just used my hand and got tagged bad. remember sitting on my rear thinking......"its just a 12 volt battery....."

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I used to repair VCR's and TV's, back when you could actually fix them. Learned early on why they called the CRT transformer, a "flyback" transformer :surprise:

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
In the 80s & 90s working on tandem trailers in a truck shop.... When they came in all wet and covered in snow. We had a MILLER for Mig , Tig , and stick.
When you get all wrapped up and twisted up under the suspension.
You learn what it means to get a " BUZZ ", :surprise:When you and the trailer are damp or wet !
You can also THAW OUT frozen pipes with a welder.
Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts