Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently finished a 396 motor and have run in the break in oil for a couple of hundred miles. I am questioning the need to add a zink additive for the next oil change. Obviously running a flat tappit cam and I used motor oil that included zink for break in. Valvoline makes a racing oil that includes zink and I am considering that for the next change. I have read articles for both sides of the use of oil including zink or adding a zink additive to just using regular motor oil. Somewhat confusing.

·
Premium Member
18,202 Posts
Its not that confusing, if you consider that hand mixing additives is way sub optimal. Let them blend it for you, and yes I ran diesel fleet with half a bottle of GM EOS for years with a flat tappet. Now I'd stick to VR-1. Lucas Hot Rod oil or even mobil1 synth may have enough zinc.

I mail order my oil from the place my builder recommended, which I've never heard of..... their customer service is great

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve used VR1 for years with flat tappet. Never an issue. Speedway Motors is generally cheaper than anyone else. Or Menards, but Menards only stocks 20w-50.

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
Schaeffers racing oil was another company I had started to look into 4 years ago before I got out of racing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The amount of Zinc has decreased in all the shelf oils the last several years... lots and lots of internet babble on the subject.
I run a good oil in my flat tappet cars, but always run a Zinc modifier in addition. I do this across the board in my car that has high rate cam springs, and in the other that has basically a stock cam and springs. You will likely be OK unless you have a big cam with significant spring pressure running without a modifier, I just do it for peace of mind....

·
Premium Member
18,202 Posts
For the record, I ran a solid flat tappet with 370 # on the nose and I felt that 1400+ ppm MIN is required. Nice 7500 rpm engine!

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Adding zinc to your oil is like adding sugar to ice tea. Zinc needs to be blended with the oil at the temps and pressures done at the refinery. Also, there are many different types of zinc and the oil companies have very carefully engineered blends that you may or may not actually degrade with another additive. Best to just buy the oil you need for your application. With all the specialty oils on the market these days, if you're using an oil that you think needs an additive, you're using the wrong oil.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I’ve used VR1 for years with flat tappet. Never an issue. Speedway Motors is generally cheaper than anyone else. Or Menards, but Menards only stocks 20w-50.
I've found Oreily has a pretty good price on VR1 20w50 in 5 qt containers and Amazon can also be a good source as being the least expensive pricing at times.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
I just add a bottle of STP to the Valvoline oil with every change. I've never had an issue in any of my engines.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep, good point. I have caught VR1 at Oreillys on sale. Don’t get confused with Valvoline synthetic. Dino racing oil. Says zinc right on the bottle.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
the problem with the whole enough zinc on the internet.....
today Jan-14-2022
what is the on the shelf oil that has enough zinc for a flat tappet cam say for a big block chevy running edlebrock top end package???
jim

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
the problem with the whole enough zinc on the internet.....
today Jan-14-2022
what is the on the shelf oil that has enough zinc for a flat tappet cam say for a big block chevy running edlebrock top end package???
jim
If you can find Driven Hot Rod oil, that's exactly what it's formulated for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve run a Comp 292 in a BBC for years with VR1. Ran a Crower’s too. No issues.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've run a zinc additive for years - no issues. Oil with zinc or zinc additive probably doesn't matter as long as you use one or the other.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ve always ran the Amsoil Z rod 20w50 or 10w-40 with Zinc in my rods. Butler 461, 496 Chevy, current 454 Chevy. Never an issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
I have run VR1 in all my classics but just tried the new 10w30 Synthetic VR1. It's blue oil but more importantly you can really feel how slippery this stuff is and will be running it going forward. Same price too, at least on Amazon. To the OP I wouldn't switch over to a high zinc synthetic oil for a couple thousand miles until the rings fully seat.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Motul makes a line of classic vehicle motor oil with high zinc. They have a oil selection on thier website. You would pick historical cars and what ever you need oil for. Or you could search the weights you want. Here’s a 20-50
Font Rectangle Brand Drink Logo

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have run VR1 in all my classics but just tried the new 10w30 Synthetic VR1. It's blue oil but more importantly you can really feel how slippery this stuff is and will be running it going forward. Same price too, at least on Amazon. To the OP I wouldn't switch over to a high zinc synthetic oil for a couple thousand miles until the rings fully seat.
Do they have the VR-1 syn in a 10-40? Was the zinc content the same as conventional?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Check Valvoline’s web site. I thought the conventional oil VR1 oil was the only one that included zinc.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts