Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
All I've been able to find is "Mandatory Canadian Base Equipment Modifications" but not what those mods were. Wasn't unique to Chevelle or even Chevrolet as I found references to it in Buick and Cadillac forums as well - although the Cadillac forum did add "Export" to the beginning of the name. Maybe there were different emission requirements for Canadian GM cars that were to remain in Canada than those 'exported' even to the U.S. :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Neither of our Baltimore built 1969 Chevelles, which were sold new in Canada, have the Z49 in their documentation. Had to add to the confusion. V48 was the option for extra antifreeze protection.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Hi Snow load Hood Brace ...

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Snow load Hood Brace ...
LOL! :D

Well, it won't be tires, those would have a unique RPO I think.

Emissions is a good thought... I thought at that time only California was different vs. the rest of NA. not sure though...

I wondered too if there was a difference in seatbelts?

Oh, of course the owner's manual is different. I bet the warranty would have different stuff in it too.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Could depend on the year , however typically its the " sticker " that says it meets Transport Canada vehicle stds so yes seatbelts but that the seat belts meet canadian std etcetc emissions ........although in most cases Canada stds are the same as the US so the actual parts are not different .newer cars it would also be the metric speedo etc ..........so IMO not actual parts jus the fact that the car meets Canadian stds

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Could depend on the year , however typically its the " sticker " that says it meets Transport Canada vehicle stds so yes seatbelts but that the seat belts meet canadian std etcetc emissions ........although in most cases Canada stds are the same as the US so the actual parts are not different .newer cars it would also be the metric speedo etc ..........so IMO not actual parts jus the fact that the car meets Canadian stds
I would definitely agree with this view, plus what Keith said about the owner's manuals and other glove box inclusions. The batteries and such generally were not different than in the U.S. (except for RPO Z46 - Cold Cranking Equipment with high starter, h.d. battery cables, 12-42 amp alternator in place of 5-37, and 70 amp. hr. battery).

In summary I would say:

-compliance stickers
-Canadian documentation (warranty, owners's manual)
-any other special prep for shipping i.e gas or no gas
-emissions compliance (really not an issue back in the sixties; emission standards were not a stumbling block to importing a vehicle into Canada)

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Our 427 and the L78s got the smog pump. Our 427 was leaned out with #68 primary jets (for emissions I guess). The advance curve was super slow (again for emissions I guess). Proper jetting and and advance curve could knock a second of the as factory built times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts