Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how many of the original two hundred and one Z16's are out there? Reason I'm asking...and maybe I shouldn't tell you this....had a guy in my store the other day...saw a poster print of my 64 Chevelle Malibu SS and said "I have something that looks almost like that in my quonset (farm storage building for you city guys). The story goes that this guy bought it new....drove it....restored it....and gave it to his then 17 year old son. The dad
died a few days later and the son brought it to this farmer and said store it...I don't want anything to do with it. I'ts been stored now for 15 years. This farmer was telling me that he had contacted the son and said "You have to do something with this car, it's rusting just sitting there". Is this possible that a story like this could be true...what are the chances that someone actually bought a Z16 new in this part of the country. (Western North Dakota and Eastern Montana) How many of you think this
old Montana farmer is just feeding me a line?
Interesting though isn't it??????

·
Registered
321 Posts
FOLLOW UP!

Go see this thing! Find out for yourself what it is. The Farmer sounds like he feels the car is going to waste and may help you by letting you look at it. It is probably a crime, in his eyes, to let a good car rot. This is in your favor as he can help you buy the car by telling the kid who owns it that it is rotting where it sits and that he needs the space. You are doing him a favor by taking the car. I don't mean to paint a dishonest picture by anymeans, but worded correctly these arguments are not lies and can be persuasive. And no, I am not a lawyer.

You need to figure out if it is a Z16, and investigating it is the only way to know. Chances are it is not... but if it is you could tell the ever popular car myth of "found in a barn".

Good luck... let us know.

------------------
??michael Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 07-20-99).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure, but i think that Z-16's were given away as promotional cars instead of being sold. Do'nt hold me to this though. I know of a few in existence. We sold parts to a man in Victoria TX who just completed restoration on one, a man in Arlington TX has an all original with 17,000 miles on it, The car given to Dan Blocker (Hoss Cartwright) is in good hands now, and my father knows of one in Oklahoma that is in dire need of resto. Someone lifted up the car with a forklift by the roof! (ewww) Sounds like this is worth looking into though. Do'nt find a Z-16 every day!

·
Registered
20 Posts
ChevelleMan, a little off the subject but I was at a local ralley one weekend last year and there was a guy with a Z16 he said belonged to "Hoss". I'm wondering if the car you mentioned is the same car or one of those urban legends. I'm in the Atlanta area and this guy was from around here. Just an interesting coincidence.

Rickster
67 SS 396/325
TC 257

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Z16s were in fact sold in dealerships. I feasted my eyes on one in 1965 at our local airport dragstrip in Walterboro, SC. The local Chevy dealer "John Black Chevrolet" always raced something there and he brought out this Malibu SS with this new 396 CI engine that had what was called "porcupine" heads. What a sight to behold. Don't know what ever happen to that car.
Mike

·
Registered
446 Posts
So Randal, You know that you have to go look at this car. Tell us what you found. Even if it's not a Z16, was it a nice 65? Tell us "the rest of the story"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, out of the original 201 Z16s built, I think there are about 600 left, if you know what I mean..........GT

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
GT-
It's fun to make a C-L-O-N-E!( to the tune of YMCA ) Some people. At least some people tell the truth and don't pass em as real!

------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
In process of finding a 65
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 07-31-99).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
after readeing your post you dont say anything about this farmer saying its a Z-16. since the farmer said he has somthing that looks like that 64 SS it dosent soud like he really knew what it was, and the car dosent have any Z-16 badges on the car but it does have the malibu SS moved up to the front fender and the 396 badges on the trunk lid. and 160 MPH speedo. i do hope it is a Z-16 and that its not rusted to badly.
what is a restored Z-16 worth

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
I talked to a guy eyeballing my 64 last summer. He claimed to be restoring a Z16, gave me his phone number but I never went over to see it, been busy. I will try and see if I still have the number and can look him up to see if its true. I've seen "original" Z16 parts advertised in Hemmings, but I also know you can get repro Z16 badges, boxed rear lower arms, etc. from the resto catalogs. Does anyone know if they had a special model number on the firewall data plate?

------------------
OrrieG
64 Malibu HT Survivor
Gold Member #171

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.