Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 chevelle SS convertible. It has partially been made into a fake z16. It has a 65 396 and is nicely installed. But, I'm looking for info on the aircleaner assembly and the intake. I know the intake was aluminum but i'm not sure who the manf. was?? And does anybody make a repro air cleaner?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Herb, the manufacturer of the manifold was winters. There should be a snowflake on the front of the manifold. If it is a 65 engine it probably came out of a big car[Impala]. Why dont you post the casting numbers and the numbers on the front passenger side of the block, so some can tell you what it really is.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Herb,
ALL Chev aluminum intakes, that I have ever seen, including the 3 carb intake for 53-55 6cyl Corvettes, were cast for GM by the Winters foundry and have a snowflake, as well as GM, somewhere on the intake.
As we speak I am holding in my hand a picture I took at Super Chevy one year of a Z-16 that was supposed to be an UNRESTORED car (want to know how I hold a picture and type at the same time?). As I look very closely with a magnifying glass, it very definitely appears to be an oval port rather than a rect port intake. I am very surprised! I never noticed that, because the 65 Vettes with the 425hp-396 were rect port. I do know that 68-69 ONLY 390hp-427 Corvettes had aluminum oval port intakes, but with a Q-jet bolt pattern (a Holley can be used with one of those adapter plates). Any Z-16 pros out there know if the Z-16 engine was oval or rect port?
The air cleaner in the picture is a closed, dual snorkle air cleaner (black with chrome lid and decals). And it is available from several sources including our sponsor, Ground Up, for $175.-180.. I think this air cleaner was common to a few other engines, such as 1970 Z-28s.
And, if you are a Z-16 lover, I am quite sure that you know there were MANY unique features on Z-16s that were not even available on 65 Malibu SSs.
I hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 03-25-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the air cleaner lid actually had a crossed-flag emblem, not a decal. I think they're actually being repro'd as well

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
The Air cleaner emblem is die-cast, and is reproduced, and runs about $185.
The rear panel emblem is available, about the same $$$. The tough pieces will be items such as...160 MPH speedo, the clock on the dash, the gold-line tires...
The good news is, the car used a standard 12-bolt rear with 3.31 gears and NO posi!!

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Hey guys another Z-16 question. Just very recently I saw a Z-16 article with pictures, but I cannot remember where it was. Was it here, was it in a magazine, where was it? Any help?

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gentlemen for sending me in the right direction...The correct aircleaner and intake will go along way towards making this a first class wannabe.......

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Hey Tom -

Z-16 article - Muscle Car Review, May 1999, p. 24.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Rainer,
Thanks buddy!

------------------

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Hydraulic heads???? I believe they were lifters. The engine was basically a 396/425 horse with the hydraulic lifters, thus the 375 horse rating.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The MCR article is about the Dan Blocker (of Bonaza fame)promotional car. I had heard the story and was pleasantly surprised to see the photos and learn the rest. And to think it is in the Atlanta area, near me! What a ride. Hope to see it a show some day.
John Walker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.