Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..hope one of you guys were the one to buy these Z16 heads from Dale Wilch in Kansas City Tuesday cause I sure wasn't able to.

He had them on his website just yesterday and when I went to buy 'em today.. they were gone.

These were the right casting numbers (3856208) AND most important.. the right DATE "window" (Feb b-24-5 Mar c-4-5) for them to be considered Z16 heads as well as the 425 horse 396 Vette heads for 1965.

Price??? just $550 for the pair, guaranteed against cracks and such.

Oh well. Do I have a Z16? No, but it sure would have been neat to have a set of Z16 heads.

I still DO need a set of correct casting #'d heads (3873858) for a '66 375 motor I'm gathering parts for. I would have probably put those Z16 heads on the '66 375 engine just for the heck of it

------------------
our Website: sites.netscape.net/thebowtiegang/homepage

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Len -

Those heads probably also came on 65 passenger cars with the 425hp 396. I think they built just under 2000 of those cars. If memory serves me correctly, there were around 4000 Vettes that came with that motor as well. That makes around 6000 pairs of those heads installed from the factory, which, although not many, is alot more than the 201 Z-16 Chevelles made.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Total of '65 Fullsize L78's = 1,838
Total of '65 Corvette L78's = 2,157
Total of '65 Z16 Chevelle = 201
-------
GRAND TOTAL of 4,196

Not quite the 6,000 quoted.

Sure, 4,196 is quite a few, but how many of those (engines) had heads that were cast between JAN & MAR of 1965?? The window that the Chevelle Experts all say Z16's should be date coded with.

Any NOT date coded between those dates can be ruled OUT as being Z16 heads.

If their so easy to come by (ESPECIALLY AT $550 a PAIR) find me some more.

I'll take ALL of them any of you can find at that price.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Len -

Didn't mean to suggest that they're dime-a-dozen, just that some stuff gets advertised as super rare when that's not always the case.

As far as the window, since they didn't start casting 396s 'til Jan of 65 anyway, all 396s for 65 would have been built between Jan and July/August, essentially a 7 month rather than 12 month production year. So a reasonable estimate is that nearly half of your 4000 heads would have been cast within the window and therefore be correct for Z/16s.

I agree about the price - it was a good one for any set of rectangular port heads. By the way, how many did you need? I've got them in a pile out back.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Were all the Chevelle Z16 s built in the same production run ( Consecutive serial #s ) At the same plant, or randomly thru the year?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Len -

Didn't mean to suggest that they're dime-a-dozen, just that some stuff gets advertised as super rare when that's not always the case.

As far as the window, since they didn't start casting 396s 'til Jan of 65 anyway, all 396s for 65 would have been built between Jan and July/August, essentially a 7 month rather than 12 month production year. So a reasonable estimate is that nearly half of your 4000 heads would have been cast within the window and therefore be correct for Z/16s.

I agree about the price - it was a good one for any set of rectangular port heads. By the way, how many did you need? I've got them in a pile out back.

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]
NOTE: I did not see the age of this post. Must have clicked into the archives then after posting I noticed the date. Ah well since I said it already ..........................

I have to agree with Rainer. Most of this stuff that is sold as super rare is just not that special. I guess I just don't understand the fever about date coded parts. Parts is parts in the final analysis at least that is how I look at it.

Just because something was cast in a time frame where it could have been used to build a car like a Z16 but it ALSO could have been used on a Vette OR it could have been used on an Impala it is somehow magically special? The logic just plain confounds me, I simply cannot understand it. By the logic outlined in parts of this post there could be a few thousand sets of Z16 heads out there. If the numbers guys get ahold of them all would be for sale at insane prices. In the end there were 201 Z16 cars BUT with this numbers stuff running wild as it is there could be possibly 1000 engines worth of heads all carrying the designation Chevelle Z16. In point of fact the heads are heads period...put a real Z16 on one side of a REAL Z16 engine and one of the

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.