Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a Repro of the Z-16 rear trunk panel/trim on eBay. My ?? is where did this come from manufacturer wise?? It's already hot at over 200 clams and rising. Is this a one of a kind or does someone out there know if more are coming along?? All I know is this will help someone (read crook) fab together a clone or is that clown Z-16 car and claim another of the "lost 201" one has been saved.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have seen the Z16 repop trunk emblem,air cleaner emblem,and interior trim, pieces for quite a while now.Don't know where there made but they've been out for sometime now.
--------------
Brett
'67
SS396
clone

·
Registered
106 Posts
dont worry, you can always tell a repro trim piece from an original. there are still parts that a cloner will never be able to get. like the speedo. ive seen lots of people claim to have an original z16 speedo missing the face plate. nice try,but we all know that now these are being reproduced less the face plate. so.....without the faceplate its not an original!!!!!! we know of the 80 real cars around(including those which have been scrapped). we also know about most blocks that have been restamped and those cars that have been rebodied. believe me,a clone will never pass for an original if you know what you are looking for. there are too many ways to spot a fake from a mile away

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If there are 80 left, where are the other 121?? besides having been scrapped...

·
Registered
106 Posts
there are about 62 still around,most dont even run. about 12 have been scrapped that are documented,plus about 8 that are known to real but have been scrapped without documentation. this includes racecar drivers that totaled them in 65 or z16 parts kits that have come up for sale with the car history.
the other 121 may have been junked when nobody cared in the 70s,or are still out there in a junkyard,backyard,barn etc... every once in a while,a real one pops up that was unknown,but dont believe everyone who tells you that they know of one in a barn or whatever. if they knew of it,they would have tried to own it by now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, like js65cv says, you can easily tell the fakes from the originals. Especially on the trunk piece shown on eBay. It is a nice looking piece, but I bet it looks too good. The original trunk pieces were reworked versions of the normal Chevelle trim. The tooling marks were always able to be seen where they fabricated them.
These "clone" pieces will be trickling in here and there...but the real ones will almost never be found.

------------------
........Tony C........
65 Extreme Machine
350/350 4.10 Street
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
I don't have a lot to add to the conversation except to clarify something Extreme65 has said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The original trunk pieces were reworked versions of the normal Chevelle trim. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Z16 trunk lid trim is completely different from trim on any other 65 Chevelle. It differs in size, shape and overall design. The Z16 trim covers the entire lower half of the trunk lid rear cove area while the "normal" Chevelle only has strips of trim with body color showing between. The entire Z16 rear treatment consists of 3 large diecast pieces (trunklid piece with smaller pieces under each tail light) while the "normal" Chevelles used a combination of anodized aluminum trim (rear cove outline) and smaller diecast pieces (inner heavy trim between tail lights).

The Z16 used standard Chevelle tail light lenses (without the small bright trim as used on Malibu/Malibu SS lenses) and had a completely unique Malibu SS396 badge which had no relation to the standard Malibu SS badge. The Malibu SS badge is found on the convex portion of the rear cove area next to the "Chevrolet" letters while the Malibu SS396 badge is placed in the concave area closer to the top of the trunk lid. The Z16 also made use of the Chevelle 300 rear quarter trim (body color) where the Deluxe/Malibu/Malibu SS models would have bright aluminum trim. The Z16s also did not make use of the "Chevrolet" lettering (since the Z16-specific trim partially covers this area of the trunk lid anyway).

I can provide sample photos at a later date if anyone wants me to.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rich,

I ran across the remains of a Z-16 18 months or so ago, but all that was left was the front suspension (11" drums, spindles and A-arms) they were gone the next trip made there and the steering column has made it's way into my car now. All the rest was GONE GONE GONE~~ looked like it had been in a major accident in the rear end. Even the data plates were missing from the firewall and door jam and it was a RED car at that. I wanted that damn suspension too!! Now were did I hide that 160mph speedo....?

[This message has been edited by harleighguy (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Registered
106 Posts
wanna know the biggest sin of all? assuming the car was real,someone will pop the new vin number and tags on it and claim its real too. little do they know,its not that simple.
hey,did anyone document the car? or is the shell still there?

·
Administrator
15,813 Posts
the Z-16 trunk lid emblem is available from OPG. They list it as a repro and priced it at $169. I don't see any other trim pieces listed in the catalog. Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well...Rich-L79...the very first Z-16 was built in the Baltimore assembly plant, where as all of the other productions of this car were from Kansas City. All of the Z-16 frames were made on the beefed up convertible boxed frame, except the first one. It was built on a standard frame.
The special trim pieces I mentioned, which were the trunk moldings only, were shaped and designed by hand, and hand fit to the car, with the unfinished sides showed the tooling marks.
Yes, they were different than the normal Chevelle pieces, but the cut down "C" moldings were designed from the original trim on the Chevelle. As were the long trim pieces running across the trunk. No where did I mention any name plates, postions or sizes. Just stated the fact that the rear trim moldings were taken from the original designs when they set out to make the very first one at the Baltimore plant.
This all comes from one of the original designers who was part of the Baltimore prototype shop.
Also, Floyd Garrett's first production Z-16 is down in Pigeon Forge, Tennesee in a nice muscle car museum if you would like a closer look.

------------------
........Tony C........
65 Extreme Machine
350/350 4.10 Street
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Extreme, you have read a article on the first car and assume all the other Z16's made have trim that way on the rear. (hand carved) I can say that they are not. (at least the two I have actually worked on. There are no long pieces running across the rear, it is one panel. Nothing like the Malibus at all. Terry Gunther now owns the #1 car.

------------------
Micky Hale Restorations
69 L-89 Chevelle
68 Biscayne 427/425
34 Plymouth Drag Car
ACES #134
www.mickyhale.com

[This message has been edited by micky69396 (edited 02-23-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here we go again...For the last time...The "Idea"...was taken from the Chevelle, not the parts...THE IDEA!
Everyone jumps on everybody when a simple statement is made. I also have seen other posts where spelling is complained about. Isn't there anything more constructive to do?

------------------
........Tony C........
65 Extreme Machine
350/350 4.10 Street
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Hey extreme, didnt mean to ruffle your feathers, I didnt think it was sarcastic at all. If you would have said "The idea" like you say then there would be no reply. I am not a "expert" and dont claim to be. Next time dont email me on this. I wont waste my time replying.

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
I was just trying to share some information, but I guess a picture speaks a thousand words. We are talking Z16's collectively, not specifically the #1 car which was a prototype. I described the entire rear end treatment of a Z16 so everyone would have an idea what is similar and what is different. I own a Malibu SS and a good friend of mine owns a Z16 and I have seen plenty of other copies of each car as well.

Please click to the following link for a comparison of the two rear end treatments in photos to show how they are dissimilar. While the trunklid portion of the Z16 diecast trim may have used the same mounting holes as used for the lower heavy trim on a standard Malibu, the pieces themselves are completely different. The mounting holes for the Z16 trim under each tail light were more "punched" into the metal than drilled, they are very crudely made.:

http://www.homestead.com/rpol79/files/ssvsss396.jpg

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rich-L79...you are a gentleman. True, you were talking about collectively. It was not my intention to bring about a conflict. Thanks for the pictures. We agree they are great car though. As are all Chevelles!

------------------
........Tony C........
65 Extreme Machine
350/350 4.10 Street
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.