Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing people talk about imports who's only claim to fame is a power shot of the happy gas, I got to wondering something.

Would you ever put a nitrous setup on your Chevelle?

I'm just curious as to what people think. personally, I'd use it, but only after already building a respectable engine. Just think....my L6, with 3 side draft webers, hot cam, header, and a 125 gas kit
It would no doubt sound like hairdryer on steriods.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kurt, I see alot of guys taking about "hooking" up with their BB Chevelles, imagine the problem with another 100-150 ftlbs of torque. That's the problem my friend had in his 427 Camaro. He was using an older system, maybe the two/three stage setups are better. When I get a 427 in my Chevelle I'll see about hook up. And if I could get past all the hardware cluttering up my original engine bay, why not. I think the key is getting the power to the ground, which is something I should post for response.. What only three sidedrafts feeding that pig block!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 04-23-99).]

G

·
Nitrous? Come on. I have to raise my baby right. You can't just feed her gas.. She needs a bottle. About hooking up.. One of the reasons that I didn't go with a big block. Ok OK, so cost was the first. Current setup will use anywhere from a first stage of 50-100 shot of the juice to a second shot of around 100 to make sure that the tires are nice and planted on the road. Although it'll be a while before I have the cash to use the gas. And of course I'll only use it in emergency situations. The engine will be done I'm forcasting around mid June, and I'll let everyone know how it works with the juice around July.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have only used nitrous for about a year now and I must admit that having it there to use at any time is a real blast. A friend of mine told me once that using the stuff was like an addiction. Once you get the small powershot kit, you will want to upgrade to a larger HP kit and the hunger for more nitrous will never end! Well, I have yet to have a strong desire for anything larger than a 125 kit - so far. This friend of mine also is just getting started in the NMCA real street drag racing class and he has used and really ABUSED (ie. recently grenaded a 427 into numerous small pieces) N2O on several occasions! He would be a nitrous junky if there ever was one

Granted I only use a single stage 125 horse kit, but on top of 425 horses, 4.10 rear gears and BFG radials, well, let's just say that things get squirrly rather fast! To be honest, I do not use it for anything other than the thrill of pushing my 3,800lb. Chevelle and myself down lonely and SAFE backroads while enjoying the scenic view...sideways!

For 'in-town' street driving, I think that it really should not be used because of obvious safety considerations to other vehicles on the road. I gave in one evening, while street cruising to a local car show, and it just about scared the wee out of me
and a few drivers around me! In the wrong hands (as with anything in life - excess is too much), nitrous can be dangerous to people and cars. If your engine is built to handle it and if the system is tuned properly, you will find that it offers the best overall value for your horsepower dollar. Have fun with your choice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.