Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not satisfied with the braking on my 79 Chevy 3/4 ton PU even though I have rebuilt the front end and brakes. So I'm adding Hydroboost. What is your opinion. Is it better? Thanks.
Maybe this should be in Bench Racing? If so sorry bout that...

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
when the motor quits so does the hydroboost after a couple of stabs at the brakes. no PS and no PB is dicey. Of course with vacuum the same thing happens. There ain't no free ride.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I can't help with the question, but have been thinking about this for my chevelle, so please keep me posted on what you find out and do.

Thanks,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 467BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Registered
982 Posts
I had it on my T-type Regal. I even set it up to use on the 350 I stuffed in there.

it worked very well, but as stated, once the motor is off, be real choosey how you use the brake pedal....you only get 1-2 pumps

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had a lot of experience with hydro-boost on our fleet of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. In concept they work excellent. But they require a lot more pluming, and are prone to leaks. If you install one calibrated for a p.u. on a car it will probably throw you through the windshield. On p.u. they work ok but unless you pull a large load I would think that the double diaphragm booster would do the job. Those were standard on all heavy duty systems. Some were along the line somebody could have mismatched or installed the wrong parts on your truck. They make several different size wheel cyl. diameters for the rear depending on application and brake size. You could upgrade your rear brakes to a larger size for more braking. You need to start with the base first and make sure all parts are good and you have the correct matched parts. For those with cars who want to put hydroboost I would probably recommend a unit off of a diesel powered car from the late 70s. That would be comparable in size.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I second the part about the leaks. They do have tendency to leak fluid, which is what you don't want in a nicely restored engine compartment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I once did a 82 Monte Carlo diesel conversion to 350 (.030 over, 280 cam, 600 Holley, SS rear 3.73, SS suspension, steering, nose, spoiler - a nice "fake" that would smoke any "real" SS) and kept the hydro-boost system. The car ran mid 16's!!!! Talk about disappointing. Trashed the hydroboost and went to regular vacuum power brakes and ran high 14's with zero traction. I went with a 750 Holley after that, but unfortunately never got back to the track to see what it would run.

------------------
Steve
1972 El Camino

·
Registered
984 Posts
had it in a 1 ton 87 chevy truck, gave great pedal feel and excellent stops. don't know how it would do in other applications. had the truck for 12 years with no leaks with over 100K miles.

------------------
65 Danube Blue 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.