Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a couple of days.

Sunday after 4" of rain I check on a set of cows at the house. My wife had already told me one had twins. She got trapped with her calves because of the water. Checked her several times Sunday and at 3:00 she was surrounded by 20 buzzards trying to get her calves. Flush the buzzards off and momma and the babies break and run. One gets trapped under a brush pile while the others run off. Pick him up and carry him 400 yards and they run again. Calf gets away from me and makes a break to the neighbors. Gets snagged in the fence or he is gone. Throw him down, remove my shirt, tie him up and go get my truck...400 yards away. Load him up and carry him to his momma and the other calf. He wanders over to her but makes a dash and jumps in the creek. With knee high boots on I go after him in chest deep water. Get him back to his momma but I am drenched. Strip Naked and go home....Well I have to shut the Gate...Naked....On a County Road. :sad:

Up this morning and have a message that I have a calf seperated by high water at another place. It is at my best friends house and the water is too high too get to them in his Rhino. We load up a Kayak and off I go. After paddling to him and getting to him I force him into shallow water for his momma to retrieve him. Paddling back I take on enough water to almost sink. I am wetter than if I would have swam out there. Those damn things are not designed for beer bellied old folks. Another strip down and return home.

At 2:00 I find a cow having birthing problems and have to get her up and pull her calf. Dead of course but we save the cow. Never dialated.

Sure wish I had pics of all of this but surely would have to be in CE.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
John to make your life a bit less stressful....please go out and pop 2 nice plump ones. Then proceed to the butcher shop...Have them cut up frozen and shipped to my home address. I wouldn't offer this empty freezer response to just anyone.....Guess I should have kept you on the phone a bit longer to allow you to dry.....Hope tomorrow you have a much better day.....:beers:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
dude, there are things we know aren't easy, or we'd all be in line to do it. cowboying, not easy, roofing, not easy...plenty of stuff that's hard, that's why they call it work, and not vacation. sounds like you earned yourself a few brews, i'll think of you when i toss my next tri-tip on the fire...hang in there patnah...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
yep thats why we have ranch hands (me) hahaha. My dad just checks fence and writes checks.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Cows come in "Sets" ???

didn't know that....

Dan
from Texas, but never was a cowboy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts