Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking under the hood of the 66 and it needs something. I picked up a new 14" chrome air cleaner. Then decided to replace the stock tin valve covers. One of my favorites is the old M/T covers, and since I already had a set collecting dust I decided why not. 1. Make a splash shield under the pc to keep the oil out. New gaskets and grommets. 2. Enlarge the hole for the pcv grommet.
Install the new valve covers and find out the alternator now hits the valve cover and the upper bracket wont allow for adjustment. 3 drill a new mounting hole in the alt bracket. Remount bracket with spacer into the head.
Now the alt belt is too short. 4. Off to the store tomorrow for a longer belt.
Oh ya! I installed the exact same valve covers on my camaro when I was 16. And the ac compressor wouldnt clear then so I just pulled the compressor. 27 years later I still havent learned.
So what simple jobs have you guys got stuck on? Jim

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Yesterday, installing newly reupholstered rear seat backrest into a '56 Chevy wagon. Backrest has factory hinges to allow fold-down for more cargo area. Three 1/4" bolts on each hinge. Easy peasy.

4 of the 6 holes were stripped. They have cage nuts on the inside of the fender well with no access from under the car. Ok, so I'll drill and tap holes to 5/16". Only takes a few extra minutes. Drill out holes, get tap-and-die set. 5/16" tap is broken. Run to store in a snowstorm for new 5/16" tap. Cars in ditches everywhere. Get back to shop, tap 2 holes, no problem. The other 4 holes, can't rotate tap handle more than 90 degrees at a time because floor pan is 2" away from holes. Start tap, rotate 90 degrees, back out, reset, another 90, over and over for next 15 minutes. EACH hole.

Now the hinges won't bolt up because the holes in the hinges are only 1/4". Very carefully drill out hinge holes to 3/8", just in case. Drilling about 2" away from brand new upholstery on nice black repainted hinges, which are welded to seat frame.

5 minute job to install backrest took about 6 hours......

Don'tcha just love old cars?

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Installed a remote trans cooler last year, under the pass. side floorboard. it has it's own twin fans, so air flow isn't a concern. Bought my wires, braided hose, nuts & bolts, etc. How hard could it be?

About 4 days spending anywhere from 3-6 hours per day, that's how hard.

Test fitting, crimping wire ends, running wires where my hands can't reach, pulling the passengers seat, moving carpet, getting custom aluminum spacers made so the unit would sit flush on the floorboard. Good times.....

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
I don't know if you consider this a "simple little car project" or not but I did at the time. Four years ago I took my perfectly drivable 1965 El Camino off the road so I could freshen up the somewhat tired looking engine compartment. I considered the vehicle a 20 footer and a great driver with the 461BBc, 6-speed, Wilwood big disc brakes all around, a respectable looking interior but not a car show winner by any stretch of the imagination. Well, I pulled the nose off of the car so I could have the inner fenders, radiator support, headlight buckets, hood latch, cowl, etc. blasted and repainted low gloss black to make it look more presentable. It's still not back on the road! Turned into a complete body-off redo. New Dart aluminum EFI 565, gForce T56, new El Camino chassis, all new suspension, another 65 12-bolt, new bigger Wilwood Brakes blah, blah, BLAH! The parts list goes on and stripping the body down to bare metal uncovered some poorly repaired accident damage (probably dating back to the 60's) to the right quarter corner and tail light housing mount. But, there was no rust/rot anywhere! My body guy and good friend said it would probably be cheaper to replace the quarter than repair it properly so the hunt was on. Ever try to find an NOS or even a good used quarter for one of these things? Found an NOS one with "shelf wear" (small dings and a couple of creases) for $1999 on eBay - probably worth $500 or so. He ended up repairing it (I don't/won't do body work for a good reason). So, the body work is complete, it's been sanded, primed and several coats of GM Victory Red have been applied as a sealer. I have to install the Vintage Air unit/plumbing, finish assembling the engine and install it. Wiring, EFI plumbing etc. the list goes on but it will get painted and reassembled this year. Did I mention restoration of all the cast and stainless trim ($$$$).

Reactions: davewho1

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Several years ago I needed to move the Chevelle. I start the car but I smelled gas so I shut it off. Turns out the the inlet fitting has started leaking again so I tried the "Help" section and got a longer threaded inlet fitting which promptly destroyed the remaining threads. At the time I could not find a replacement bowl so I used a carburetor I had from another car. Everything fits and I already had a fuel line that would work from the pump to the carburetor. Ok so it runs like crap until the engine is fairly warmed up and stinks. So I want to move it again, but it really stinks and I need a nice windy day so I don't get gassed. Now that the rain has stopped for a while maybe all the planets will align, and I can get it moved.....lol......

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Scope Creep. Beware. It lurks....everywhere!!!

From November to the end of March, everything is fair game. Once April 1st hits, I try to keep the car running as much as I can.

Life/Summer is too short. Sometimes, you have no choice. Sometimes, you do. :)

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the new belt installed today, bought two sizes and the first one fit! Pulled the radiator pet cock off and installed a zinc anode for the aluminum radiator and didnt even strip out the fitting!
I can see doing stuff causes the cars to sit. There are a few things I wished I would have done before getting the car on the road like putting a 454 in it, lowering it, installing the 12 bolt. But I dont have the patience so its now running and I just want to keep it that way. I was talking to a guy at the gas station last sunday. He has a 27 tall T, nice car but he was saying the same thing. Wishes he would have done a few things before he got it on the road. Now that its driving, its going to keep driving. Now onto the next project. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
I don't know if you consider this a "simple little car project" or not but I did at the time. Four years ago I took my perfectly drivable 1965 El Camino off the road so I could freshen up the somewhat tired looking engine compartment. I considered the vehicle a 20 footer and a great driver with the 461BBc, 6-speed, Wilwood big disc brakes all around, a respectable looking interior but not a car show winner by any stretch of the imagination. Well, I pulled the nose off of the car so I could have the inner fenders, radiator support, headlight buckets, hood latch, cowl, etc. blasted and repainted low gloss black to make it look more presentable. It's still not back on the road! Turned into a complete body-off redo. New Dart aluminum EFI 565, gForce T56, new El Camino chassis, all new suspension, another 65 12-bolt, new bigger Wilwood Brakes blah, blah, BLAH! The parts list goes on and stripping the body down to bare metal uncovered some poorly repaired accident damage (probably dating back to the 60's) to the right quarter corner and tail light housing mount. But, there was no rust/rot anywhere! My body guy and good friend said it would probably be cheaper to replace the quarter than repair it properly so the hunt was on. Ever try to find an NOS or even a good used quarter for one of these things? Found an NOS one with "shelf wear" (small dings and a couple of creases) for $1999 on eBay - probably worth $500 or so. He ended up repairing it (I don't/won't do body work for a good reason). So, the body work is complete, it's been sanded, primed and several coats of GM Victory Red have been applied as a sealer. I have to install the Vintage Air unit/plumbing, finish assembling the engine and install it. Wiring, EFI plumbing etc. the list goes on but it will get painted and reassembled this year. Did I mention restoration of all the cast and stainless trim ($$$$).
I've wondered if you were still on the site,David. Glad to see you still own your 65 Elky.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Not a Chevelle story, but this one cured me of ever wanting another antique outboard motor.

Had a nice running 1961 Johnson 2cyl 3hp outboard, with the Golden Anniv decals. I used it one night for shrimping in a local creek. Hit some oyster shells and the shear pin held while the driveshaft splines in the crank slipped. Shearpin was a nail.....

So I take it apart, should not be hard, just gotta get the crank out, and replace or fix the splines....

Break the last bolt taking the case apart. Drill, easy out, get done. Run a tap through the hole. Good to go.

NO, One more turn on the tap, break the tap. Almost get the tap out and break the effing crank case in half.

Two months later I get most of another running Evinrude of the same type, cobble together a running engine.

And decide to sell to someone wanting a period correct motor for a repro rowboat!

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
I've wondered if you were still on the site,David. Glad to see you still own your 65 Elky.
Hi Clint. I can't bring myself to let it go so I just keep putting money into it. Progress though, is slow mainly because I'm occasionally lazy. Although I haven't regretted selling the 2005 Corvette convertible several years ago I really would like another. The #2 Corvette dealer in the country is less than 100 miles from me and their pricing is hard to resist. A Torch Red Z06 convertible sure would look good in the garage next to the El Camino! What are you driving these days? I see all the vehicles in your signature are sold. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Hi Clint. I can't bring myself to let it go so I just keep putting money into it. Progress though, is slow mainly because I'm occasionally lazy. Although I haven't regretted selling the 2005 Corvette convertible several years ago I really would like another. The #2 Corvette dealer in the country is less than 100 miles from me and their pricing is hard to resist. A Torch Red Z06 convertible sure would look good in the garage next to the El Camino! What are you driving these days? I see all the vehicles in your signature are sold. Cheers!
After owning 33 Corvettes over the last 45 years, I finally gave them up when I sold our 94 ZR-1. Now that I'm retired (and re-married), the wife and I have been riding three wheelers, first a Boss Hoss and now a Harley trike. Am working on acquiring a nice 66 Elky in Iowa but haven't been able to get away to go get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts