Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tested resistance between the 4 posts on the temp gauge? I am still having trouble getting my temp gauge working and it is getting me overheated
! I have the guage at least doing something now, it is at 100 degrees when I turn key on, it, however, doesn't move as the engine gets hotter, I pulled off wire to sender, and gauge doesn't move, then I'll ground the wire and the gauge will go down(probably about 40 degrees). Hmm, maybe wrong sender, did they make the temp sender that has a nail head looking connector for both gauge and light cars? The parts store assured me that the sender I got was a gauge style sender, what would the resistance be when car was off between sender connector and ground?I am really appreciating all the help I have been recieving from both Phil and Elree and others on this @#$% temp gauge problem.

------------------
Pat"The Soundkat>^..^<"Hoffman
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Pat,
The gauge should go completely to the hot side when you ground the sending unit wire. The fact that it moves some tells me that the wire from the gauge to the sender is ok, so the problem is either in the gauge itself, or somewhere in the power getting to it, or the rest of the dash.
hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Can't help much but if it is an idiot sender in there, it would read 0 ohms to ground when cold. A quick measurement would confirm you bought the right sender. Idiot light senders are only a switch.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Like billk said if you ground the wire it should go full tilt HOT. A idiot light sender is open when cold and a switch grounds the sender terminal when hot.
I can give you the full details on how to check your gauge when I get home tonight.
From memory you should have a 85-90 ohm shunt resistor across the top and bottom terminals. Make sure the bottom terminal is a solid ground. The other two terminals are for gauge power and sensor connections, I can't remember which is which.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I'm really interested in this as I just put my guage dash in and a new temp sender. I have a new 180 degree thermostat and new wiring harness. I know my car is not over heating but yet my new temp guage is reading 210 to 220.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Pat when I sent my gauge off to D&M they added a ground wire from the back of the gauge to the mounting panel works great now
couldn't tell you what else they did

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
"Hey Ya'll watch this...."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts