Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know there are lots of 'my chevelle doesn't start' threads already... but i am wondering about my exact problem.

i was getting heat soak and non-starting... though this seemed to start only *after* i had to get a jump start one day... before that it started perfect.

based on suggestions i read here... i went and cleaned off all the battery terminals and installed a starter heat shield *and* a remote solenoid.

BUT i still get the non-starting. to get it to start (i've had 5 non-starts out of 20 starts or so since installing that stuff) all i have to do is crawl under the car and tap the bottom of starter itself with a wrench. starts right up after that.

so my question is... is the starter 'bad'? would a new starter correct this?

if it would... which of the mini-starters would be the best? i don't want to spend much over $150 or so. do the mini-starters bolt right up no problem? since i have the heat shield and remote solenoid already installed... would getting a reman stock unit fix the problem?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The reported phenomenon called heatsoak affects the solenoid, not the starter. Beating the starter usually indicates a dead spot in the starter. The beating causes the starter to move just a little so the brushes find a better spot on the amateur.
*Somebody (me)ought to learn to spell armature or quit typing late at night*

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay that is what i was thinking... so i should get a new starter then? or rebuild this one?

heat soak won't affect the starter itself at all? and just the solenoid? i coulda swore i read that the starter itself can be affected.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This may not apply to your car but it's worth mentioning anyway. After battling 5 years of intermittent no starts, and 3 solenoids later, I finally found my problem...It was the da#n battery! :mad:

I would get the hot start problems but it would also occur ice cold sometimes. The only thing that would get it going was a jump start.

I bought the battery brand new for this car and almost since day 1, I had an occasional no start. Right away I figured it was the starter or solenoid so the fun began... Never thinking that it was the new battery. The other day, it finally kicked and so far, the problem is gone.

It must have had a bad cell or something that would act up occasionally. Im going to find a nice high cliff and toss it off of it! :D

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by mr409:
Im going to find a nice high cliff and toss it off of it! :D
NOT a good idea :eek: EPA .... but dropping it off in front yard of owner of company who made battery :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You have another vote for the starter being your problem. if it was your battery why would hitting the start help the battery?
what I did on my 70', I put a f&^D starter soleniod in the firewall and wired it direct to the starter, that way I don't have to worry about heat soak. I wouldn't waste your money on those mini starters for a street car. IMO you could spend your money on better things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts