Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have probably read all previous posts regarding this issue. My '69 Chevelle SS396 4 speed is still having problems getting the starter to turn over when the car has been driven for 20 minutes or so. I have a brand new Optima battery, trunk mounted with 2ga.wire & all grounds & connections are fine. Remote solenoid, new gear reduction starter w/heat shield, new HEI module, new alternator, timing was slightly advanced, that has been corrected. I was wondering what size wire should be running from the remote solenoid to the starter. That is the only thing left I can think to change. Sorry about the long post, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have you tried jumping the start terminal back to the battery when the car has a problem? This is the terminal where you tied the purple wire from the ignition switch. Hang a wire on that and cap off the other end. When the car acts up, take the capped off end, uncap it, and touch battery (+).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
First thought is that 2 gauge wire running from the trunk to the starter is way to small to crank a 396. I'd think 1/0 or 2/0 wire is more likely to work.

Describe what it does. Does it crank slowly or not engage at all? Any other info?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It cranks very slowly. The wire that connects to the starter from the remote solenoid is 4ga. Should that also be 1/0 wire? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yes, Personally, I'd run 1/0 for all the wiring from the battery to the starter and also for all the ground wires. This is because it's a trunk mount and has extra wire length. 4 guage is way too small and 2 guage may work but then again it may not.

Peter

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Second the 1/0 wire. You need all the current carrying capacity possible.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Jack, with the positive and negative cable lengths measured I'd say it's about a 25 foot run. According to that chart, 2/0 is good for 140A to 180A which is right about what the starter probably draws. But, if you use 2 guage all the time then it obviously does work. I just figure the 1/0 won't cost that much more and it definately won't have a problem. At any rate, 4 gauge is way too small.

Peter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the slow response. I will replace all wiring with 1/0, I can get it for nothing from the electrician I work with. I am getting quite disheartened with the whole muscle car thing lately, namely the $$$$$$$$$ that has been adding up, if this does not solve the problem I might be inclined to put this precious thing on the market. Thanks for the info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts