Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at Chevelle~abration I saw some beautiful cars
Among them were some Copos and some tunners. While checking out a really sweet yellow Yenko I started wondering what the syc stood for.
its probably something really simple but whats it mean? Thanks

Who else is still drooling from thier experience???

------------------
Philip Blackburn
Primer black 69 velle (far from done)
my motors done...
454-60 over
iron merlin rec port heads
Compcams promagnum rockers roller cam
.646int.653exst 280/286 w/110separation
10.25 compression
RPM airgap eagal rods
ARP bolts and studs
will run an auto
ACES # 04287

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
sYc - Yenko Sports Cars I believe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...so its a Yenko super car?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well, they all are. sYc appeared on all of them, if I'm not mistaken. There may have been variations, but I don't believe that the sYc designated anything 'extra' over a standard Yenko (Standard? yeah, ok
)

Kurt

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kurt I didnt think it ment an option or special package or anything like an SS or anything....just wanted to know for a posible idea I was having, I might let you guys in on it

I was talking to one of the owners of one of those beautiful unrestored original yellow Yenkos and he said something that almost made me fall out of my chair. One of my friends said something about Vettes and he said he didnt want one because "they were too expensive"
Comming from a guys with a yenko I found it kinda funny

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
I have been collecting Yenko articles and memorabilia for many years and I thought you had a good question here so I looked through some ads. The meaning of "SYC" could mean different things depending where Yenko used it but most likely it means "Yenko Sportscars". In 1966 Yenko built the Yenko Stinger Corvair to make it legal to race as a 2 seat sports car in SCCA. There is some documentation that uses the term "manufactured by Yenko Sportscars" . After the Stinger Corvair won a racing championship in 1967, some Yenko ads read "Yenko Sportscars home of the winners." In 1967 Yenko built 427 Camaros. He called them the "Yenko Super Camaro" in some ads. He sponsored a Dick Harrell Funny Car that had "Yenko Super Camaro Dealers" on the door. Then in 1969 he sold the 427 Camaro, Chevelle, and Nova and ran an ad that read "Meet the Mean Ones," "The Yenko Super Cars" and at the bottom of the page it said "Yenko Sportscars Inc." The 1969 Yenko cars used lettering on the seat head rest with "SYC." so maybe Don Yenko wanted it to mean Yenko Super Cars in 1969 but unfortunately Don is not around to answer questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.