Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in the process of putting the starter, alternator and distributor back in a '69 SS396 I picked up recently that was in the process of being converted to HEI. Just out of curiosity I connected one clip from my ohmmeter to the yellow wire (before it was reconnected to the coil and solenoid) and other to ground and got a reading of 0 resistance (like the wire is connected to ground). The former owner had told me the wire had laid on the exhaust header and burned thru and shorted to it, so he was going to replace the distributor with HEI and bypass the wire. I don't really see anything wrong with the wire and want to fix the real problem if possible. I would like to get it running stock first, then make changes later. Should this yellow wire be giving me a 0 resistance reading to ground when not connected to anything under the hood? If not, where might I find the problem? Thanks, Chuck S.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might be getting a false reading off the meter. The yellow wire isn't tied to nothing when it's disconnected from the solenoid and coil. It's tied to the resistor wire which is on the IGN side of the switch. That goes to a few places.
Try:
Isolating the yellow wire connections on the coil and solenoid. Don't let it touch ground. Turn the key to ON. See if the yellow has 12 volts to ground on both sides.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts