Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yellow and Braided (White and Orange) wire "hanging around" the engine compartment. They are clipped together with what looks to be a clip for the coil. However, there is a black and red wire coming from the coil.

I recently purchased the car.

Is it possible that there might have been another ignition system installed (distributor is Red (odd color)), which no longer requires these wires.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sounds like those two wires were the original resistor wire from the bulkhead connector and the yellow wire wire than went down to the starter. Maybe someone installed an HEI distributor. I can't see. The HEI has an oblong cap while the original points distributor was round.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will check. What should I do with the wires. Are they active? Should I remove them, or just tape them?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The wires are hot when the car is running. Easiest thing to do is put some shink tubing over them. Available at Radio Shack or Home Depot. Tape works, but does fall off because of the heat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so is just the white wire hot, so I can shrink wrap that and then disconnect the yellow one from the starter, or wherever it goes?

Correct?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Usually they are both tied together in the same lug, the lug that went originally to the coil. If you protect that lug, no reason to crawl under the car. The yellow gets power from the solenoid in the START position. Doesn't matter if is is still tied to the solenoid. It has no value but at least it's not flopping around if you leave that end screwed down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts