Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about a visual way to ID my 71 from a 72. Is there any difference? I don't think so but I'm here to ask the experts! Also, just for fun how about a 68 from a 69 besides the taillights? My girlfriend thinks I'm a genius when I can tell the year of a car by looking at it(she's easily impressed
) but since I get people coming up to me all the time asking "What year?" Or my favorite, when they offer a guess,"70?72?" "Nope,sorry pal 71....." I even had a couple "67?"
Well,anyway,any hints?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The most obvious difference between 71 and 72 is the front turn signals the 71 is "split" and the 72 is solid the grills are also different In 68 and 69 there are alot of little things 68 turn signals lower on the front an rear fenders more sqarein 68 has vent window 68 grill square mesh (metal)69 horizontal bars (plastic)68 front turn signal on bumper wider than 69 68 has back up lights in bumper 69 in taillight 68 quarter panel is angled forward at rear bumper and 69 is more vertical at rear bumper68 headlight trim no, paint 69 is painted black68 hood hinges are shorter space between bolts 68 has square pod guages 69 has round 68 has ignition in dash 69 has ignition in column if it has console 68 lid is unlined 69 is lined if disc brake car 68 has 4 piston 69 has 2 piston if you can pick this all out just driving by I would be impressed too...good luck with the girlfriend
......sg

·
Registered
21 Posts
come on guys I probaly missed alot of things what are they....sg

·
Registered
45 Posts
68 seat back releases on the side, 69 on the back. Now, if you want to get into the differences in El Camino's...

------------------
SWAMP

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving is not for you."

'68 El Camino
'68 El Camino SS project
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

·
Registered
226 Posts
other differences between the 71 and 72 are the front headlight bezels and rear tail lights.

bezels on a 71 are symetically square whereas the 72 is square with 2 little pieces protruding on the grille side making the bezel "blend" into the grille. VERY SUBTLE.

as for the tail lights, the 71's had smaller reverse lenzes and a larger diameter chrome trim rings around the lenses.

You cant be too sure though.. there are so many 71 and 72 chevelles that have all of the wrong parts. there a couple of 70's out there with 71/72 rear bumpers!! So the real true way is to look at the cowl or vin tag.

oh yeah.. the grille on a 71 looks more like a grill from 70.

[This message has been edited by nebula72 (edited 08-22-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.