Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard it yet? Im on the email list for XM, and I received it about 1/2 hr ago. I was very surprised, to say the least. Im hoping for good things to come from it. They expect it to be pretty much done by late 2007/early 2008. This should be interesting!!

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
As long as Sirius retains it's existing format, I'll be fine with the merger.
I LIKE my NFL, NHL, and NASCAR programming...both in the truck on the road and at home.

·
Premium Member
6,205 Posts
They just announced this morning that Sirius is going to start offering service here. We can't catch the satellites good enough, so they'll have repeaters on the mountains here. If you look at all the tv satellite receivers here, they look like they're horizontal, just to pick up the signals.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
I don't understand how two companies that report having over 7,000,000 members, can struggle. At the current subscription price of 13.99 a month, that equates to over $98,000,000 income. PLUS the frickin advertising sales on the sports channels. I don't get it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Their main cost are the satellites. They each have 5-7 satellites up in orbit and in order to reach places like Hawaii they must continue to launch more and these satellites are very state of the art (A.K.A very expensive). Also, XM has a contract with Boeing to produce up to 13 more satellites (mistake on their part) So their debt will not be going away anytime soon. This coupled with the cost of launching the rocket containing the satellite SIGNIFICANTLY outweighs their revenues.
If they don't merge and open up their satellite communications, it is almost impossible for them to remain in business unless they can capture a bigger audience, but doing so means more costs.
I think "Vicious Cycle" is a good word for it.
Mike

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both of them aren't showing a profit as of yet....Im actually thinking of dropping XM anyway. It' nice to have, and I think I'll wait till the merger to make up my mind, but I actually listen to regular radio more often, so it's not the best financial choice for me. On the satellite stations I listen to most often, there are as many commercials as there are on regular radio, so that's no incentive!

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Im actually thinking of dropping XM anyway. It' nice to have, and I think I'll wait till the merger to make up my mind, On the satellite stations I listen to most often, there are as many commercials as there are on regular radio, so that's no incentive!
Ditto for me. I will decide after the merger as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm all for it. I have been an XM subscriber for quite a while, partly because local radio flat stinks, but mostly because satellite seems to be the only way to hear anything remotely new or interesting music-wise.

As far as monopolies go - have you heard any rock stations lately that are not owned by Clear Channel? Sure, there are a few, but not anywhere near where I live. It is not like satellite is the only choice for in-car entertainment. With MP3 decks, over the air, CDs, etc, if satellite gets too expensive, people will not buy it. Heck, I suspect that within a decade we will have wireless internet access widely available in car stereos via cell providers.

I had hoped they would merge - I already have 3 XM receivers and the family plan, so it would affect my decision on what new car to buy. I like XM enough and already have enough money in hardware that I would be seriously torn if a car I wanted to buy only had Sirius available from the factory. To me, this seems like a good thing (tm).

Rob

·
Registered
724 Posts
If/When they merge, i would expect them to offer the same price as they're currently charging to their "old (pre-merger)" customers. However, I would think they are going to increase the price to any "new (post merger)" customers. Especially because they will essentially be a monopoly and they will need to become profitable. I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped up to $16-18+.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just my luck. I re upped with XM last month. Paid up front for a years subscription. I compared the two when I first bought my XM. Not much difference and XM had NASCAR at that time. Even though I'm usually not travelling on race days, I do hope I can get NASCAR again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts