Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I am setting up my motor to finally fire it this weekend.( been a 5 year project) I plugged the dist in , a non-computer HEI , and it seems to sit about 3/4 of an inch too high.. what gives? isnt it supposed to sandwich the seal between the dist. body and the intake? are there more than 2 typs of dist? It is engaged on both the oil pump as well as the cam gear.. I installed a HV melling pump on with a HD moroso pump shaft upon assembly. My only other thought is that the pump shaft is too long..god forbid. any ideas?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
3/4 inch up usually means it hasn't dropped into the oil pump shaft. Have you tried to move around the rotor to see if it drops in anywhere? What did the distributor come out of?
Just installed one last night from a 78 trunk into a 72 engine. Melling standard pump with a stock shaft. Turkey won't drop down either until I got the oil pump shaft lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I thought too.. I dont know what it came out of.. got it off a buddy of mine..the rotor doesn't turn, telling me its engaged. but the distributor body does turn, as it should?... I dunno.....

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Rotor won't turn if it engages the gears but that does NOT mean it engaged the pump shaft. Body always moves if it's in the pump shaft or not. There's a part number stamped on the side of it. You can always ask the guys in Tag Team to decode it.
*Edited*

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Did this distributor come directly out of another engine or did it get disassembled at any time? If the gear is on upside down, it will behave as you describe (do not ask how I know). Is the distributor for a tall deck truck engine the same length as the others? Could that be a factor?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the dist. was in a 307 I was informed, i know it wasn't originally, but it did work fine in that motor. I did replace the gear, but ensured it was on in the right direction, by comparing it to another dist body I have. going to try a few things now.. thanks for all the assistance.!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you have another points distributor you can compare lengths. You should find them identical.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just spun the motor a little by hand.. dropped right in.. all is well.
thank you again gentleman. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts