Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put my new rear seat covers on. UPI. there is a small wrinkle in the seat back. it is not caused from over/under streching or having the cover on crossways. its a spot about 10" long in the middle of the pleated area. is there a fix for this? thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Originally posted by sheetmetal:
i just put my new rear seat covers on. UPI. there is a small wrinkle in the seat back. it is not caused from over/under streching or having the cover on crossways. its a spot about 10" long in the middle of the pleated area. is there a fix for this? thanks Dave
Put a towel over the area, and give it a few quick passes over with an iron. Kind of like welding....Hit it a few short times, let it cool, try again, let it cool. Other wise you will melt it. This should take care of it.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
You might just want to try a hair dryer. I've seen this tip before for smoothing out wrinkles in headliners and upholstery. This may also be less risky than the iron. But still need to be careful with any heat on vinyl.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
I would try what Roger suggests. I ruined my headliner by trying to get creases out of it using a dryer 1st and then a heat gun. There was no room for error and I ruined it before I knew it. I know that we are talking about different material here, but I would definitely give it some time in hot sun. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Upholstery installers use a steamer to get the covers to fit right. I'd call a professional in the area and show it to him/her and get the right answer the first time before you damage the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Originally posted by TonyZ:
Upholstery installers use a steamer to get the covers to fit right. I'd call a professional in the area and show it to him/her and get the right answer the first time before you damage the cover.
No way on vinyl..I've done all types of upholstery since 76. Steamers are used on fabric.
Good old outdoors is best on vinyl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts