Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow... only 12 members here are helping cancer research by using their computer..

I find it hard to believe that we only have 12 members here currently helping cancer and other disease research by using their computer and running a simple program.

The program was generated by the Stanford University Medical Center and is called "Folding @Home". The program generates scientific models for protein folding. Proteins are the building blocks of life, and when they "come together"or "fold" wrong, that is how diseases are created. By understanding how proteins fold, pharmaceutical companies and medical scientists can use the information to help create drugs or other means to combat many common diseases like cancer and Alzheimer's.

At least that is my understanding of it.

The program is simple and runs in the background of your computer. It is NOT a resource hog, and will NOT bog down your computer or make it slower. It only takes advantage of free CPU cycles. HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people worldwide are running this program. The program downloads a "work unit", or "WU" from Stanford University, your computer then crunches the info. over a period of time, typically a day or two(depending on how fast your computer is), and when completed, sends the completed WU back to Stanford. Then another WU is downloaded and the process continues on and on. That's it. It's automated and there's nothing to it except to run it. There is no reward doing so except for recieving "points" from Stanford and seeing how you and your team rank among the many other groups and individuals. But there is also the HUGE reward knowing that you are helping disease research.

I hate to sound like an infomercial, but this is not a scam.

If you are interested, there is more information at the Stanford University Medical Center's website here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Feel free to explore the many links provided there, and even the forums and maybe even download the program and get started!

Our team, the "Classic Chevy Team", is currently ranked 772 out of 84,385 folding teams. Not too shabby, but we can do better with more help! You may recognize some of the member names in our team:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=53803

Please join us! It's a lot of fun and there's nothing to it, it's for a good cause and there's nothing to lose. I've been Folding for about a year now, and have NEVER caught a computer virus, or adware, or any junk like that. The program is safe and easy.

My grandmother currently has Alzheimers very badly, and I have plenty of friends and family who are haunted by the threat of cancer, and have lost loved ones to the horrible disease. I'll try and do my part.

If you need any help getting started there are plenty of FAQ's on the net, or PM one of the members. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

That's my shpiel... Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Re: Wow... only 12 members here are helping cancer research by using their computer..

I am always very cautious (to the point of paranoia) about anything that could potentially compromise my computer and security. After some checking around, I found the program is legit and I am running the program on two computers.

It is for a good cause and runs in the background using your cpu power when the computer is idle. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
Re: Wow... only 12 members here are helping cancer research by using their computer..

I am #5 on the list so far. Wish I had more cpu's to run but alas I do what I can with my one.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

I'm Still chugging away, been there from the begining....

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts

For a lot of people, timing is everything to get them to be compulsive. As such, you caught me on a good day. I'm in. :yes:

·
Premium Member
44 Posts

Slow day here at work. Add one more

·
Banned
2,373 Posts

ITS HARD ENOUGH keeping your own online addy.. safe and not haked into.. never mind letting another site into it all the time... by the time your haked.. they'll have all your info..
TJX and others get hakes daily...and they're not "in your computer"
good cause or not...
who's picking up the tap, when your fighting all the new bills in your name...
thanks I'll pass..
been hit with fraud once.. that was enough

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts

This is not exactly the right approach to get people to help.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

ITS HARD ENOUGH keeping your own online addy.. safe and not haked into.. never mind letting another site into it all the time... by the time your haked.. they'll have all your info..
TJX and others get hakes daily...and they're not "in your computer"
good cause or not...
who's picking up the tap, when your fighting all the new bills in your name...
thanks I'll pass..
been hit with fraud once.. that was enough
This is no Hak or Tap, it is legit, I even use my real name on the program.

Thanks Joey for the points, I am now looking to take back 9th place. :hurray:

·
Registered
3,863 Posts

I just got the PC going in addition to my Mac. Recently had the cable guy here and he fixed some of the issues that kept the PC from staying connected to the net.

How long are you guys taking to complete a 1500 frame WU? My display says 1 month right now and that seems like a long time.

·
Premium Member
6,218 Posts

How long are you guys taking to complete a 1500 frame WU? My display says 1 month right now and that seems like a long time.
Well, I started this morning, and now, 13 hours later, I've got 241/1500 for 1 WU. Looks like it'll take about 2 1/2 to 3 days per WU at this rate.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

Well, I started this morning, and now, 13 hours later, I've got 241/1500 for 1 WU. Looks like it'll take about 2 1/2 to 3 days per WU at this rate.
2 to 3 days is normal, I Just finished one that took four days. I got over 700 points for it.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

I really don't understand how this thing program works? Does it ask you questions or something?
No questions, it just does math calculations in the background while you surf the net or in my case while I write papers for school. You don't even notice it running.
When I play Baldurs gate II, I just shut it off.

1 - 20 of 295 Posts