Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the time and effort to pull apart and port match the heads to the intake in the pic? One side of the port on all 8 is off about 3/16 max. Or is this not a big deal.
Liquid Eye Water Automotive tire Eyelash

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
A lip in a wet flow deal can sometimes be beneficial.
Look at the mismatch of the BBC square port intake on oval port heads.
It flat works.
The true and only way to know if it would be better to port match it will be to run it as is then port match it and retest.

Yea not what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lip in a wet flow deal can sometimes be beneficial.
Look at the mismatch of the BBC square port intake on oval port heads.
It flat works.
The true and only way to know if it would be better to port match it will be to run it as is then port match it and retest.

Yea not what you wanted to hear.
Crap, so much easier to port the intake. That’s just a mock-up so it won’t be as bad. I did scribe and mark it just in case while it was assembled.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Based on what you paid for that intake and making the assumption this is a max effort deal, YES, scribe the heads and port it for the intake.
Max effort with as-cast heads? 🤦‍♂️
Regardless...that's the WRONG answer. Last thing you want to do is create sudden increase in cross sectional area right where the intake and head come together...which is exactly what you will do. If you're going to move one side of the port over, you better be prepared to move the other side over as well. In this case, since we're just dealing with an as-cast set of heads anyway, best to just leave it alone. The engine will never know the difference.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Oh look. The beginnings of a pissing match by a non-vendor and a vendor. Subscribing.
I'm going to grab some pop corn and marvel over that intake. Overkill or not, it looks like an impressive piece.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
Based on what you paid for that intake and making the assumption this is a max effort deal, YES, scribe the heads and port it for the intake.
Based on the small spring, stud rockers and tool steel retainer I’m not thinking max effort.

Reactions: steelcomp

·
Vendor
9,371 Posts
Based on the small spring, stud rockers and tool steel retainer I’m not thinking max effort.
We don't know and that's why I stated I was making an "Assumption".

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
A lot of times there is a little fore and aft wiggle room with the manifold to head. I would almost bet if you loosen up the manifold you can shift it that little bit/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The heads just came in and are as is. This was a quick mock up without the stainless shaft rockers . Waiting 16 weeks for the aluminum block. Not looking for max effort. Just an itsy bitsy 900 NA. Which should be very easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts