Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am back and forth on the LS or big block fence. Currently have no engine, fuel system, gas tank, radiator, nothing..if you get what I am saying. So either way I am going to have to find all the components for either system. Does this seem like a good deal for a 396?

For sale is a 396 BBC. Comes with block, crank, heads, main caps, and air intake. price $400 or OBO
Block casting number is 3855961
Heads casting number is 3872702
Block and crank will need to be machined

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
I am back and forth on the LS or big block fence. Currently have no engine, fuel system, gas tank, radiator, nothing..if you get what I am saying. So either way I am going to have to find all the components for either system. Does this seem like a good deal for a 396?

For sale is a 396 BBC. Comes with block, crank, heads, main caps, and air intake. price $400 or OBO
Block casting number is 3855961
Heads casting number is 3872702
Block and crank will need to be machined

Pretty typical for small big block, really this is just a bbc core with heads and some extras, intake ect. I think judging by the text, you could get it cheaper. Parts are readily available for them,
38559611966-7 396 325, 360, 2 bolt.
I hate to say it, but its getting harder and harder to justify the costs associated with building the smaller big blocks, I'm mostly just starting with 454's and stroking simply for more cubes. Now if this were an original motor for your car? -That's different.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
You need everything and that 400 deal does not look like a deal at all.
I would look for an old truck with a 454.. then you could have the transmission/ driveshaft and all the brackets and if you are crafty maybe the radiator will work.. but you may even reuse the belts and hoses from the truck along with many other parts.. then sell the truck to the scrap yard or sell cores off of it to a core supplier.

You will be surprised how cheap you can be into a daily driver doing it like that.

I got a 1956 4 door belair for 900 bucks no engine no trans no radiator no fuel tank.
Dad wrecked his Chevy Luv truck. Radiator fit after I swapped the inlet and outlets fuel tank fit.

Buddy wrecked his 1980 mustang with 200CI inline 6 with C4 It went into the 56 and I took the drive shaft and a chevy shaft and made 1.. I did not balance it .
I just lined it up best I could and welded the ends into the tubes.. small vibration at 75MPH.
Faster than the 6 really liked going... it got 21MPG weighed 3190 lbs and i was in it for less than 1500 total after title and tax and tires and included new brakes and shocks.

900 dollar car 500 dollars in stuff.
I then hauled off the Luv and Mustang.

Yea a Ford in a Chevy.. i should be burned at the stake.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: Jeff is right, however his thinking fits just as well into obtaining an LS series engine: find a donor car and you're on your way (okay, it might be a smidgen harder, but...).

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
since you are starting with a blank canvas just maybe you should think about what you want to do with the car. If you want a daily driver then get a car or truck with the modern ls6 and transfer into your car. It may require a little more work at first but will pay for its self in the long run. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I agree with the above post. It's a blank sheet. Do an honest evaluation of what you want from the car and your budget. Then crunch your numbers for all your options.

Steve R

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Tell him to keep the 396 block, grab the heads and crank and find a good 2-bolt 454 block. You'll have the most efficient big block possible with more than enough power for the street. Nothing against the 396'ers, I just prefer the biggest bore possible for valve unshrouding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts