Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions guys.I have a 70 SS396 350 HP.Block,heads ,intake ,dist.,exhaust manifolds,alternator ,water pump are original.I added vintage air, putting the original radiator etc. in a box.4 spd. trans. is a 1971 warranty replacement.Original posi rear.The engine has a Quadrajet 7040207[1970 350/350 Corvette carb,maybe Camaro?].It should have a 7040205.Sellers seem to want about $2000 for these things!Will I get the money back if I sell this car?Anyone know somebody that wants to work some sort of swap?Thanks Scott

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got through talking to Phillip from Custom Rebuilt Carburator.He will give me $600 for mine,$1400 for his.He has a june 23 carb.My engine date is 06-22-70.Car production date of 07-06-70.Which date do you use?How many weeks prior to these dates is acceptable?

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
That's one of the reasons I don't care that I only own a Malibu that is far from being a matching number car. It's less expensive, you can do whatever you want to the car and for me I enjoy it more. I owned a 67 Corvette that was matching numbers and that car cured me of owning anymore. :D

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Agreed, if you have to be that concerned about never taking a hit in the hobby....it's not a hobby. If these cars drop 50% in value tomorrow, I couldn't care less. Have that attitude and it suddenly becomes fun again.

·
Premium Member
14,053 Posts
If you are truly worried about getting your money back if you sell, forget all about that, it'll probably never happen. Is that carb worth it, only you can determine that, good luck!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Agreed, if you have to be that concerned about never taking a hit in the hobby....it's not a hobby. If these cars drop 50% in value tomorrow, I couldn't care less. Have that attitude and it suddenly becomes fun again.
There's kind of a balance with some of us. We love the older cars, but having to go thru some of the stuff we have to go thru to get parts is really a pain. I started collecting spare parts for two of mine many years ago, just because of this parts game we end up playing.

I respect the originals and I do try to stay original, but I have my limits ( or should I say my check book has limits).

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Looking for opinions guys.I have a 70 SS396 350 HP.Block,heads ,intake ,dist.,exhaust manifolds,alternator ,water pump are original.I added vintage air, putting the original radiator etc. in a box.4 spd. trans. is a 1971 warranty replacement.Original posi rear.The engine has a Quadrajet 7040207[1970 350/350 Corvette carb,maybe Camaro?].It should have a 7040205.Sellers seem to want about $2000 for these things!Will I get the money back if I sell this car?Anyone know somebody that wants to work some sort of swap?Thanks Scott
I'm not sure if I follow what you are asking. Does your Chevelle currently have matching numbers and you are looking for the bolt on accessories that have the correct part numbers and date codes? I'm not sure an incorrect carb will hurt the value that much, especially after you have added aftermarket AC. It might make a difference on an otherwise concourse correct show car.

If the carb isn't giving you any problems I don't think I would spend the money. You can always keep an eye out for the correct carb and buy one when it pops up.

Steve R

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,716 Posts
If your present carb performs well I would keep it. The high buck correct carb may or may not. Just because it's fully restored doesn't mean it runs good. I've fixed some of those high dollar restored numbers matching Q jets from big name restorers. Also, who can see the numbers on your carb when the air cleaner is on anyway? If it's a '70 Chevy carb the outward appearance will be the same, except for the tiny stamped numbers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts