Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has sat now for almost 18 years or so - I have worked on things now the then but most not at all.

Engine is a four bolt main 350 truck block with 327 crank in it, turning a 700r4 tranny.

Should be fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,604 Posts
Looks great to have sat for 18 years! Can't wait to see progress, good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cool wagon, I'm jealous..

You barely have me beat on how long mine has sat. I'm almost back on the road, just replacing all the brake system at the moment. It was NASTY.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I had it repainted about 14 years ago, a friend got laid off from Boeing and was a painter. So the paint is somewhat new and like I mentioned - from time to time I did show it some attention.

One of the things I have been doing is a totally new wiring harness American Auto wires unit.

So the dash is out and I am not going to put the original AM radio back in. So I cut out the mounts in the original warn dash and made an aluminum piece for mounting three gauges in it's place.

Almost have the dash in car wiring done enough to put the dash back in for good - hopefully? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I have been working on this thing a lot, up wards of 7 hrs some days and it seems like months now.

I was able to mostly finish off the rear of the body.

Color sanded, buffed, polished and waxed. Then of the first time in about 16 years or so, I was able to get the tail lights cleaned up and back in the car. As will as the rear script and the electric tail gate window works too! :)

The problem with wagons is there is so much body to color sand and polish.....

The plate was stamped in 1963 - but the number is photo shopped for fun.

Oh - and it is insured and registered for the first time since 2003.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been working on the front end stuff for the last few weeks. Bought some new front end trim pieces, grille, eyebrows, 327 script and below the headlight fill pieces. Not what I would call OEM quality at all, everything is REALLY THIN and bends with a touch. Also the fit leaves a lot to be desired. But what can you do? It is a driver anyway.

Still need to get an unbent front bumper, but this one is good enough for insurance sake.

Finished the scoop to hood work and got it painted, which shows areas needing a little more finish work. But it is on and covers the engine so - ok for now.

Turns out the power brake booster had a vacuum leak in it so had to send it out for a rebuild. If you need power brake work Karps Power Brake in Upland Ca. is family owned and been in business since 1984. They do it all including resleeveing of vintage 30's and up master cylinders and such.

Any once I get the booster back and in I can start on redoing the carb and timing of the engine with no vacuum leak to it. :)

Lately this thing has been Benjamin Franklin-ing me to death - way past the nickle and dime stage.

Also got the interior closer to done - it just goes on and on ........

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
where did you get the scoop from? Rear shape looks closer to how its supposed to be compared to others.
Scoop is a Unlimited products fiberglass piece. Quality was/is not what it used to be, pretty thin and started delaminating while I was putting it on. Hopefully it stays together. I had to recut and shape the rear opening of the hood, they pretty much hacked it up before they shipped it.

I have done a few scoops on steel hoods, this one has some resin and glass filled bondo at the rear to make the shape - blend it into the hood.

Thanks - took some time.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I like that style of hood scoop. Been watching for years for a 68-69 steel hood like that I could afford.
The two inch version, not the 4 or 6 inch, too much. Saw one last week... for a 67. Not a big fan
of the SS hood, either. Good thing, since they have been priced out of my reach anyway.
I also like the drip rail line of the older wagons, the way it is continuous from front to back.
The wheels also look perfect for that car. Great build happening here!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts