Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o.k. here goes,after checking every thing to make sure this is a real ss,one thing still puzzles me,the dash has wood grain! who knows, maybe the prev owner liked the wood better?my question is how do I get rid of this without messing anything else up?can I remove this and doctor up the area under the cheesey fake wood grain.any ideas would help,thanx.67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
the dash is out of a monte carlo, and unless it is a 72 model (has the seat belt light) then the woodgrain is attatched through holes drilled in the plastic and wont come off without leaving holes all over the dash plastic. If its a 72 dash then you can take the woodgrain off, its only held on with some adhesive. Most likely you have a 70-71, and if thats the case youll need a new dash plastic assembly if you want the correct black dash.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Hey after sending in my first reply I realized you could be talking about your 67 (im always in 70-72 mode)...isnt the dash supposed to be woodgrain? I had a 67ss years back and it had a woodgrain dash strip where the light switch etc. was. dont remember if the radio plate was woodgrain though. My 66's have the black and chrome strip, but I think 67s were supposed to have the woodgrain.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drptop70ss
yep I was talkin bout my 67,but I learned something about 72s, cant hurt to know!Im wondering if this was a option,I have seen most with black and chrome strip,very few with wood grain,every thing,I mean everything else tells me its a orig ss.I figured some meat ball put this in shortly after the car was new. so your ss had wood grain too,was it a real ss? thanx for the reaply-s,good day 67rat member #199

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
67RAT your vin should have 138 in it to be a real ss. I have never seen a real ss with woodgrain. But that dont mean i know everything .You can get the right parts from yearone .The best place i found to get the 50"strip is luddys in pa.Its a big job to change as the dash has to come out.But its not hard just plan on a whole day to do it right.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
hey 67,
my 67 was definately an ss car, and seemed to be untouched, but it was still 20 years old at the time and who knows what happens over the years...but I sure think this one was original.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea,I think its a orig ss from vin to frame tells me this,but woodgrain?your right,its old, any thing could have been done,I own it for 20 years.I will have to see about changing this eye sore,hey droptop and cfr,thanx for your help,good day.67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cfr
would you happen to have the address for luddys in p.a.Im from central p.a. and would like to look them up.any help would do,thanx.67rat member #199

·
Registered
994 Posts
67RAT...Send me the wood grain dash, and I'll send the box back to you..he..he..he..he
Just couldn't help myself :)))

------------------
"Like-em-All" "Help-em-All"
"Race-em-All" "Lose-a-Lot"
"Always faster bench racing"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Rat, I just bought a 66 Conv. and it also has the wood grain dash and the top of doors and rear quarters so I'm intrested to find out an answer to your thread.Have a good evening Gene......

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
o.k.the car is a ss,cowltag,vin tag,had factory tach,all body panels are orig and have the same paint indicated on cowl tag under the 2 other colors(yea the paint sucks)all the emblem holes seem punched rather than drilled.even has the extra frame peices in the rear of car,even has ss frame number.I guess I will get a ss panel and fix this eyesore.I would like to take off the woodgrain panel,find the guy who put it there and slap him in the head with it!oh yea cardiac,how bout I send you the box after I SH-T in it,then you send the box back with the panel I need!he he he he wwoooohaaaaaahahaha.hey,just ribbin,could not help my dark side.have a good day all, and cardiac,beware when u.p.s. comes a knockin,good day dude.67rat member #199
Oh yea heres my vin# 138177B105241

[This message has been edited by 67RAT (edited 08-17-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
67RAT
LUTTYS not luddys . I guess i spelled it wrong. LUTTYS RD2-2385 SAXONBURG BLVD.
CHESWICK, PA 15024
(412)265-2988
They will have every peice of the dash that you need.I redid my 67 dash with all their parts and was very pleased with the fit and look. But they are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
What you have to remember is that Chevelles weren't hand-built like Rolls-Royces on the assembly line (nothing stopping us from doing it). The SS396 was supposed to come with the black camera-case grain trim; the Malibu used the woodgrain,; the 300-deluxe used the brushed metal; and the wonderfully rustic 300 used a plain painted metal dash with labelled rings for the various control knobs. GM could have been short on parts that day, or the assembly line worker could have been experiencing the morning after or had a grudge against his supervisor. You never know. I have heard of a Chrysler that had a complete set of door panels on one side, and a different set of door panels on the other that didn't even get flagged on the assembly line. A lot of time has passed since these cars were built, and since they have passed through many owners and fads, may have been modified anywhere along the line.
I say lets really mess with people's minds and throw in a RHD '64 Chevelle dash!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey Rat, I think Cam's onto something. I'm new to the resto thing, but from what I can gather assembly back then wasn't a scientific, robotic, JIT thing. And I've sen 67 Goats and 68 Camaros with some wood grain, so hey, maybe that day, they had woodgrain. BTW, with our 67 the Vin tells all, So unless someone re rigged the Vin's, it's pretty straightfoward. You got an SS, an overcammed, overgeared and over carboreted one (
), but it's a SS baby.

Rat S**! in a box. Hell, we can pakage it and market it for Christmas. People will buy anything!

Have a good day fellow RATFREAK. ( ooh - good license plate material don't ya think!)

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-19-99).]

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cam,
yes sir,you have a lot of good points,could be!You guys know what sucks about this,as soon as anyone with brains looks at my chevelle they say,Its not a real ss,without even lookin at other key clues.Then I got to step in and explain.thanx cam, I feel better now.I still gotta change it,I hate woodgrain unless it belongs there!gene your right,I seen 67 goats with woodgrain,real goats.I thought it was an option.you know this site has brought me back from just ho-hum intrest in my chevelle.Im so into the beast now!drove it the other night,could not resist,holy shi- she flys,but Im probaly just like you guys,as soon as I slide down in the seat the hair on my neck stands up,and I get automatic race face.gene,shi- in a box,we could sell this,be the next pet rock!we will put it in a woodgrain dash panel box.oh man,wait till cardiac gets that box I sent him!hey dudes,thanx a mill,I knew I would be enlightened here,good day.67rat member #199

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 67SS has the woodgrain dash even with air cond.You never know what has happened in 32 yrs.I've plenty of pakaging for your gift ideas.Good one.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
TC #127

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so Im not the only one with this,thats good to hear!btw 67ss could I intrest you in a------ naaaaaaa! good day 67ss. 67raT MEMBER#199

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Hey 67Rat, you made mention of woodgrain on a '67 GTO. That actually was stock on the GTO & Lemans. The rest of 'em used a black grained finish, as did all Beaumonts for '67 (base, Custom & Sport Deluxe).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.