Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

Ever experienced a problem where the car won't even trun over, but then starts fine a few hrs later, which in this case was in the morning.

First off, this is not my Chevelle, it works just fine, its my winter beater, a 1990 Camry.

Last night, I finished work at 12:30 after a 13 hr day, and the car won't start. I tried for over an hr, the went to sleep at the office(very uncomfortable). At 7 this morning I went to push it back to boost it, and tired it just to entertain myself, and it started.

What the heck would cause this. The starter selenoid clicks, but it won't turn over. The battery had @12.5 volts (yeah this is not the first time).

Bloody frustrating, but I'm too stubborn to take it to a garage.

Thanks. AB

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I had a '77 Impala do this to me and it was a loose battery cable connection at the starter solenoid.

Check all your connections.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
maybe its the neutral safety switch. mine did the same thing, replaced it and it starts everytime.

aaron

·
Registered
169 Posts
hey AB try checking the electrical part of your ignition swiitch. This is a common problem with the nissan's I work on. Vehicle has power in acc and run, yet no start. You may find an internal break in the switch. To check, we usually put the key in run and run a power probe to the solenoid on the starter. If it runs after cranking, swap the switch. May be different with your Camry, but a good place to start.
chris

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Since the solenoid does click, it is either the solenoid, the starter, or the high current wiring from the battery (battery cables).

With a meter or test light, check for voltage where the battery cable connects to the solenoid. If that's OK, check for voltage at the starter when the key is turned. If that's OK then your starter is bad. If not OK, your solenoid is bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts