Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems starting my 70' chevelle. When I turn the ignition key all I get is GEN and HOT lights on the idiot lights and no sounds at all from the starter. I have a new battery in it that has 12 volts. I checked the starter and that is fine. I also installed the starter with the R and S wires swapped so it can't be how I installed it. I checked the fuse and that's good. So now i think it's a wiring problem. I can't find the ignition coil and I was wondering what would be the best way to check the ignition switch. So far I think those are my best possibilities but if you have any suggestions I'd deffinitely like your input.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I assume you cleaned up the battery cables already. The car can have a start problem due to the ground cable. The ground cable screws into the alternator bracket with a small screw. If the cable is junky looking, the screw is loose, or the bracket is rusty, the car will have start problems. I have changed out a starter just to learn this. If this is OK maybe next check for voltage on the starter. That's at least accessible. I use a clip lead on the starter terminal instead of trying to hold the meter lead up in there. Clip the lead on the "S" terminal and the other side of the lead goes to the meter. Other side of the meter to a good ground. See if there is voltage (12 volts) as you crank the key. Check to see that you did put the purple wire on the "S" terminal. If the yellow and purple wires are reversed, the car won't start.
After this it's time to start looking under the dash. Post back with your findings.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,776 Posts
Check to see if you have 12 volts to the starter's "S" terminal (purple wire) while the ignition switch is in the "start/cranking" position

If not check for 12 volts on one or both of the purple wires on the neutral safety switch
You should have 12 volts on both purple wires when ignition switch is in the start position

If you only have power on one wire, the neutral safety switch is not completing the circuit

If no power there, the ignition switch is probably bad

{edit}

oops I type too slow

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 01-25-2002).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well first of all I want to thank you guys for replying. I did check the voltage on the wires. I don't have any color wires other than black and red for the + from the battery. Well the first wire I read was one of the small wires. With the ignition off it read nothing. With the ignition half way it read 11.4 volts. Then I read the other little wire. It didn't read anything until the ignition was all the way like starting the car. It read out 11.8 volts. I checked the + wire from the battery and it read out 12 volts. I cleaned all the terminals on the battery and the ground were it hooks up to the block. I don't have a ground cable to the alternator bracket but there is on to the block. When I tried starting it with the starter in before I used the - jumper cable to see if there was any better ground but it still didn't work. I also read out the ground wire from the battery to the ground and it read out good for continuity. So to me it sounds like everything is getting the right voltage. Well this is all the information I have. If you could please help me out it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"Then I read the other little wire. It didn't read anything until the ignition was all the way like starting the car."

Yeah, that's the one. This should be closest to the block. Next to where the wire is connected, the solenoid has a "S" embossed on it. This is the purple Start wire. Power on this one and a good ground to the block spins a good starter. Starter/solenoid problems?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it was the starter also but I put a new one in there. Well to make sure it wasn't the starter I bought another one and it doesn't work. I don't get anything. All that happens is the GEN light and the HOT light come on but nothing happens. I turned the motor with a socket to make sure the motor didn't seize and that's fine. Everything moved. I'm running out of ideas. All the voltage is there, the starter is good, the battery is good. I used jumper cables again and connected the negative terminal to a couple of grounds and that didn't work. I don't know what else it could be. If the car wasn't in park I shouldn't get the volatge to the starter right? It was in park when I checked it and I got all the voltages. The S,R, and battery cable all had about 11.5 volts. Well if you could give me anymore ideas it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, sounds like everything is there. What happens when you jumper the S terminal to the large battery terminal on the solenoid? The solenoid should engage. Problem with the solenoid?

·
Registered
21 Posts
sounds like it could be the neutral safety switch...........I think john said something about this.......but what I've done in the past(which is a little of a ******* or your shade tree mechanci way) take a big screwdriver and arc it on the starter to see if it will spin the motor. you'll at least see if there is enough voltage........also check how much voltage and amps are accross the battery.........maybe you shorted out your battery on something...........because you can have high voltage and no amps........or low voltage and high amps......try it and see......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just going to arc those two posts accross but right before I was going to do it I decided to give the key one last turn. This time it turned the starter. I didn't do anything to it though. The starter wont ingage though. All I hear is the starter spin. I think that's a problem with the starter but it's a new one. If you can get back to me it would be great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked under the car while my wife cranked it and the starter didn't even com close to the flywheel. It was off about 1/2 an inch. The shaft on the starter would slide forward but wouldn't come out to meet the flywheel. I put in the other new starter and I get nothing now. The same problem I had before. I guess it might be two bad starters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ol' girl started!!! Thanks for the help!! I found out the two starters Pep Boys gave me were the wrong ones. The only way I found out was I pulled the starter off my wifes camaro that I knew worked and the chevelle started right up. I thought there is only one kind of fit for a chevy 350 but I guess not. The only difference that I found between the two were the way the bolt patterns were. The ones Pep Boys gave me were staggered and the one I pulled off the camaro was straight accross. I don't know if there is a difference or not with the bolt pattern but if anybody could inform me it would be appreciated. Are there different types of starters for a 350 or is it one size fits all? I now need to find a starter for the camaro and I need to know if this really matters. Again thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
the two bolt patterns are for auto and manual trans. also chev had 2 differant flywheel sizes 153 and 168 teeth. the straight bolt pattern i beleive is for the 168 tooth nad staggered is for 153 teeth. i maybe wrong so hope someone corrects me if i am wrong.JIMK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts