Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

i'm sorry i know there are tons of smilar threads out there in the forums, but since english is not my native tongue its hard for me to find the ones matching my case. So i prefer to post my problem in own words.

Today, i reversed the chevelle out of the garage and shut her down again. After ten minutes i tried to start her again, but with no success. The starter would crank, but verrrry slowly, just like when the battery was empty. After a few tries of starting her up, it would not crank anymore at all, only a click could be heard. Hooked up starter wires to second car (Volt gauge read 13 Volts) and tried to start her again. Same result. Removed the battery terminals and wires and removed all oxidation from them, same result. Hooked up battery charger to the battery terminals, but almost no charging current, looks like the battery is full. After 8h of charging nevertheless, still only a click. Voltage drops form 12.2Volts to 6 Volts (gauge inside of the car) when turning the key. Ground wire to starter is getting very hot.
Now i have two ideas:

1. Wire from battery to starter or terminals on starter bad
2. Starter bad

Anything else i could check? It would be good to be sure what the culprit is before i order parts, because getting parts over here is very expensive.

Thanks!
Olli

·
Premium Member
4,930 Posts
It could also be corrosion on the batter cables where they connect to the starter and to the ground. I'd probably try that first, since you don't have to spend any money.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Probably a bad starter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok like the last guy said, check cables and connections. If that doesn't work, disconnect the battery and take the starter out, it's pretty easy on your model. To test the starter, simply ground the outer casing to negative post on the battery. Then take the (red cable)- positive side and hook it from the positive post to the center nut on the solonoid on the starter. If the starter engages and spins freely, the starter is good. If it clicks and won't engage, it's problaly the solonoid or bad armatures inside the starter. If you car isn't a numbers matching car you get a get another starter from the parts store. good luck...

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I'm betting the starter motor is in need of a rebuild.
The big wire (cable) going from the battery down to the starter is the + (positive) It will get warm from the current flowing thru a bad starter. I bet the starter is quite hot, too.
You can probably find a shop in Germany to rebuild it, instead of paying big money to have one shipped over.

Dan

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no ground wire to the starter Olli
It gets it's ground from being bolted to the engine block.
Dean and Dan, you are absolutely correct :thumbsup:, i was wrong. It is the + wire from the battery to the starter. It seems to be of sufficent diameter, but who knows.

Today i also took a look at the terminals on the starter and they all look good, i loosened them and retightended them, but no change, only a click. The cover on the back of the starter is crooked and a tiny bit open (??) and it seems like there is rust inside. Maybe the starter motor had a seizure and pushed the cover open a bit? Anyways, i ordered a new starter here in Germany, a Powermaster XS, i chose that one because it was cheaper than importing it myself, it was available on stock and because it can deal with the heat of my headers. I hope that was a good decision! I don't have a numbers matching car anyways.

Thanks again to all for the help, i hope a new starter will get it fixed!

Olli

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
Do you have headers? Kind of sounds like a combination of problems mentioned above and the common heat soak issue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes i do. I also think that the heat killed the starter. I replaced the starter yesterday and all is good again! Thanks for the help!

Olli

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
I would:

Swap in a known good battery, not just jump start. A battery with a poor or failing internal connection can interfere with a jump start.

If that fixes it, get a new battery.

If not, check the starter, as others have noted. There are two parts to this: Does the solenoid pull in the starter drive to the flywheel? Does the starter motor spin properly to turn over the engine?

If it doesn't pull in, check or replace the solenoid. If does not turn the engine over, change the starter.

This is after making sure the wiring is sound, and connections are clean.

Normally, a new battery fixes this, in my experience.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Remember those cool little gauges that measured amperage that traveled through the battery cable to the starter - all the service stations had one. That was a great way to know what was happening.... I have not seen one of those for years....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts