Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appologize to post this on the Chevelle site, but I can't get anyone to help on the Mustang site. I am a true Chevy die hard and I am lost on this Mustang.

I am working on my daughters 95 Mustang 3.8 L. First it would start when cold, but when it warmed up, it wouldn't crank, I mean no sound at all.

I put a new starter and solenoid on (they are all together, no starter solenoid on the inner fender), it started fine, then when it warmed up, the same problem. I put new ends on the battery cables at the battery post, still have the problem. Now it won't even crank when cold. I even put the battery charger on it and flipped it to the 55amp start mode, no help either. I have tried moving the automatic gear selector between park and neutral, still won't crank. I replaced the $5 starter relay in the fuse box under the hood by the battery, still won't crank. I did have to replace the ignition lock and key about a month ago, due to someone trying to steal the car. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I thought I should mention it.

There appears to be plenty of power from the battery, lights and all are good and bright.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I have gone at it alone.... I have replaced the starter & selinoid, the starter relay, and the ignition electrical switch.

I have no power to the small wire at the selinoid. I guess I'll call a wrecker and have it towed to the dealer.

tas

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested the small wire lead that goes to the solinoid, no power to it. I traced it to a connector under the fuse block next to the battery, it had good continuity, but no power there. I pulled the ignition module switch from under the steering column and tripped the starter by hand. I had a friend come over, while I tripped the switch, he tugged on the harness which produced a jumpy on off starter. At first we thought there was a broken wire in the harness on the passenger side that goes into the computer module. But we found that while we were tugging on that harness, there was another that branched off of it that goes down to the tranny for neutral safety, electric speedo, etc. That harness also has a connector, that was not clipped together all the way, apparently someone had done some a/c work on the drier unit, and had unplugged this connection to gain access to the drier, and had not hooked it back together all the way.

So, I snapped it back together, and it starts every time, the electric speedo now works without jumping all over the place, and the check engine light went out. Fixed three problems!

tas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts