Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am restoring a '65 Malibu, unfortunately not an SS. I want to restore it as close to original as I can, but I do not like how the side trim looks on the Malibu. I know that the SS does not have the side trim, but I don't want to rebadge it as an SS because of originality. The car did not have the side trim on it when I purchased it, but it was in pretty bad shape, so it could have just fallen off or been removed prior to me getting it. However, it did get me thinking if there was a factory option to remove or exclude the side trim. Hopefully someone can help clear this up for me!

Thanks,
Ski

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I currently am restoring a '65 Malibu, unfortunately not an SS. I want to restore it as close to original as I can, but I do not like how the side trim looks on the Malibu. I know that the SS does not have the side trim, but I don't want to rebadge it as an SS because of originality. The car did not have the side trim on it when I purchased it, but it was in pretty bad shape, so it could have just fallen off or been removed prior to me getting it. However, it did get me thinking if there was a factory option to remove or exclude the side trim. Hopefully someone can help clear this up for me!

Thanks,
Ski
Look up 1965 Chevelle models. The 300 was the base with no options, it had no trim on the side of it. The Malibu had side trim and was thought to be an upgrade. It also helps catch doors before they ding your paint. The SS had the top fender trim and was the top of the line model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, yeah I knew about the differences in trim between the three models, I just don't know if there was an option for the Malibu to come without the side trim.

·
Premium Member
17,420 Posts
Thanks, yeah I knew about the differences in trim between the three models, I just don't know if there was an option for the Malibu to come without the side trim.
No, no option, the side trim was a standard part of the Malibu model. If you want to be correct, restore and install the trim. However, its all up to you. Unless YOU feel the need to be completely correct, then its just a personal decision. I personally like the car without the Malibu side trim, and it doesn't have to be badged as an SS...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I don't really like how it looks either, so I will probably just not reinstall the trim and just restore the rest of the car to original specs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts