Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for info on the value for a 1997 vintage Vortec 350 4 bolt long block. Motor was pulled from a new, less than 5K mile, truck under warranty due to "engine noise". The dealer came to find the noise was caused by slap or racket in the fuel line mountings, as this was truck 1 of 2 with issue, both still had issue after motors were replaced. Fuel line restrapping cured the noise after motor replacement. I know where the other motor is, it is running fine, so believe this motor is in the same good condition.

Motor is a complete long block as taken out, no accessories/induction/exhaust, has been bagged and stored since I acquired in in 97, and is a 4 bolt. I know that the heads had a value back when, and still do for some, and a 4 bolt, one piece seal, roller short block also still has value for some others. I also know that "LS is the way to go", I have someone interested in this and would like to know a fair starting price to ask. Looked on CL and did see lots of cores out there with high miles for cheap, however.this one has almost no miles. If it matters, motor is in So California.

Any input is appreciated.

Best regards,
Tom

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I would guess $500 give or take. Do you have anything to document what you wrote in this post? If not, I would treat it as a core if I were a potential buyer. You might be able to squeeze a bit more if you personally warranty the engine in writing. Unfortunately you can buy a brand new GM crate 350 that comes with a warranty for $1,360 including free shipping.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Steve,

That's what I was feeling would be the valuation. I don't have any docs, when a motor was replaced it was tagged with the perceived issue and if that issue was determined to be in error, GM wouldn't re-tag it in admission of the error.

At that price I may hang onto it, however I don't know if I will ever have a need for it. Not wearing out motors like I used to.

Thank you for the input,
Tom

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'd guess a couple hundred bucks. I got one of them as a warranty take out when I was working for Chevy late 90's. Nothing was wrong with it. I think I paid $100 for the core charge. I used the heads on something and sold the shortblock for I think $200.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
At that price I may hang onto it, however I don't know if I will ever have a need for it. Not wearing out motors like I used to.

Thank you for the input,
Tom
I've been doing this a long time.....and my experience is that a LOT of the time, items that you defer on selling, hoping to get a slightly better price on.....rot in your garage or building....and eventually wind up being sold for scrap value or less than the offer you originally turned down. That is, unless they are rare or highly desirable. What you have is neither, although it's one of my favorite pieces to start a SBC build.

You have an interested buyer. The demand for these motors will probably decrease over time as fewer people will want them....and there are a TON of them around. (Yes....I know you have a four bolt.) You have a very plausible story with zero documentation. The motor is not in a car or on a stand running. The motor sounds like it hasn't been run in almost 20 years. Any smart buyer will assume they are buying a core....which they are, although they MAY get lucky. Most people don't pay for that, though.

Personally, I say....."Do the deal." At $500, how far apart can you be? If nothing else, you'll appreciate the extra floor/storage space.

Best of luck regardless.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I have the exact same engine, aside from mine being a '99 vintage. Came from a 3/4 ton van. 4 bolts aren't that scarce, since they resided in virtually all 3/4-1 ton GM trucks and vans from 96-mid 1999, then continued in the van chassis until 2002. Yes, the heads are good, they're the Vortec heads and with some minor clean up they're better than a camelback could aspire to be.

Unfortunately, you essentially have a very nice core. (GM # 12530283 is the crate engine # for this application, and has a core of $100) I don't think anyone you don't know would unbag it, plug on the manifolds and run it based on your word. At a minimum, heads and pan would come off just to see the cylinder walls and inspect for a ridge or wear. At that point, they would strip it down, add rings and a gasket set, drop in a better cam, and button it back up. That's exactly what I did with a very low mile core that I came across back in late 1999, and it now sits in my Chevelle-unbored and still going strong after 15 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts