Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a '68 Chevelle, SS clone, but supposedly a factory bucket seat car.

Auto in console with factory dash guages and roller tach (5K redline). Interior nice except needs a dash pad...

Disc brakes, 350/TH350, 10-bolt non-posi... Runs great, but could use a suspension rebuild...

Looks pretty nice (20-footer?), but has some paint issues; a few bubbles at rear 1/4 above wheels, and several large chips (peeling off one of the taillight housings), and bubbles felt under the vinyl top in the rear (all per the seller's description and/or pictures)... Has SS hood and grill and rear emblem...

I am not worried about being a "clone", just looking for a nice cruiser for this summer (and beyond).

At this point, I am assuming its basically solid with minor rust/paint issues... I might go look this weekend (2 hours away). I have a good friend that live close by, and I will have him check it out a little more before I go...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I cannot understand why some cars are called clones. There are so many with 350/350th/10 bolt and with that it is just a Malibu with cosmetics. I just purchased a 69 that begin life as a Malibu that has been "cloned". It is only missing 1 thing --correct fuel line--from a factory built SS. I have listed 20 different things on a true 69SS and I am sure there others, but I just wanted the look and feel of my favorite Chevelle without paying a multi thousand $$ premium. There is no way to replace the feel of a big block and 4 speed with any kind of small block set up.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's not a bad looking car at all, although I would agree that it is a bit overpriced. It's nice to know that the factory installed barrel tach is proof of it's 4-speed heritage:sad:

Seems to have had a fair amount of attention to detail, so what concerns me is the brake pedal. If that was neglected as part of the tranny swap, what else was overlooked?

Definately worth a look-see...

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like he's about $5,000 too high .
Yeah...

He senmt me a few more pictures, and was VERY honest about the problems. So, for me, looks like it will need new paint, and right there, I wouldn't pay the $15K...

My good friend lives within a mile or so and he is supposed to get over there tonight or tomorrow and take a closer look... Then I will decide IF I want to travel down there and try to deal...

Its NOT an original California car (I think Mid-West), so who knows what other rust is lurking...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's nice to know that the factory installed barrel tach is proof of it's 4-speed heritage:sad:
Without paperwork OR the original motor, I don't see the "factory 4-speed" heritage changing the value (especially missing all the pieces)... JMO

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Wonder if it actually got sold or if Craigslist sold it for some reason.

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I was just talking to him this morning (email)...

He left a voicemail last night and said he had someone else interested, but he felt i was a better "Mark" for the car (What, do I have "Sucker" written on my forehead?)...

I emailed him and said with the paint problems, I'd be looking at the $10K-12K range...

Naturally, he was a little offended, and had the audacity to tell he that both he and I Know its worth the asking price, plus the "factory 4-speed" heritage increases the value...

I set him straight...

he said he MIGHT go $14K this weekend... IF the paint were near perfect, I might go that high (rest would need to be pretty nice though)... He's gonna try and sell it at the GoodGuys show...

On to the '68 Corvette I have been looking at (and the wife says i should get a Corvette!)...

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I previously wrote him when he said he had another buyer...
Obviously, "a bird in the hand"... If you have someone else interested,
>don't let me hold you back. I hope to let you know soon. I'll call you
>later.
>As I mentioned, I still am interested in the car, just mainly the
>paint/body is not what I want in this price range... Honestly, I am
>thinking $10K-$12K range
He called me a "low-baller" :D

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I actually meant to say if Craigslist DELETED it for some reason. But I see he hasnt.

I previously wrote him when he said he had another buyer...

He called me a "low-baller" :D
Hell find out in due time if its really a 12k car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts