Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a car at an auction and need help determining what the actual value might be. It is being sold at No Reserve. It is a yellow 136 car with dealer installed 427 SS package. It has documents from dealer as well as bill of sale, protecto plate, window sticker and manuals. I am familiar with pricing of numbers matching SS 396's but have never seen one of these! I would like to have an idea of what would be the absolute top dollar to pay?
Lynn

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Unless there is some bullet proof documentation that proves the swap was done by a dealership at the time of purchase it's worth no more than a NOM SS convertible in similar condition. The claims by the dealer, or anyone else, would actually make me suspicious of the car.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
What seems odd is the car is owned by Leaded Gas Classics that has a large inventory of classic cars, lots of muscle cars, yet they are sending it to a no reserve auction. A place that sells these kind of cars and they can't sell it? The 427 added at the dealer I don't think is going to increase the value. It might be a nice car but why couldn't they sell it?

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
a TSD suffix code decodes to a 75-77 454 from a truck.

that order sheet looks as real as a three dollar bill. why would you order a "SS" package then order a V8 Malibu with a 283 base engine

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Just looking at the pictures of the engine I see some issues. It has a 3 letter code " T0203TSD" with TSD being a 454. Shouldn't a 427 of that vintage have a 2 letter code? Also it is hard for me to see with my crappy eye sight but the casting number looks like 3999289 which would make it a 70's 454 block. a search of the vin shows it has been bought and sold a few times by Mecum auctions so it has been doing the auction circuit for a while now.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Sorry guys I was typing right behind you. So we are all seeing the same thing.
a decent looking car with a bad story and a 454 made to look like a 427. for value if the body and paint is in great shape then 25K tops

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If that engine was installed at the dealer in 66, how does it have a long water pump and accessories on it? They didn't even exist in 66. Also explain the turbo 400 in the car? It's invoiced as a glide. The SS emblems on a malibu? Wrong color tail panel?

I think one of two things is going on here. Either the dealer invoice is fake or the engine and trans in the car now are not what was installed in 66. I think fake paper is more likely.

So this whole dealer installed 427 doesn't really add any value. Car is nice but not perfect. I suspect it goes for around 30k. That's about what a decent big block NOM convertible is going for these days. Unless they find a sucker that believes the 427 story.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
If that engine was installed at the dealer in 66, how does it have a long water pump and accessories on it? They didn't even exist in 66. Also explain the turbo 400 in the car? It's invoiced as a glide. The SS emblems on a malibu? Wrong color tail panel?

I think one of two things is going on here. Either the dealer invoice is fake or the engine and trans in the car now are not what was installed in 66. I think fake paper is more likely.

So this whole dealer installed 427 doesn't really add any value. Car is nice but not perfect. I suspect it goes for around 30k. That's about what a decent big block NOM convertible is going for these days. Unless they find a sucker that believes the 427 story.
That engine was installed in 76-77 in a truck with a manual trans. There is a lot of wrong with this car and it's story

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Because of the BS story that goes with this car I wouldn't make a bid on it for any price. This story is going to dog this car forever. This story goes back to at least 2012 and it has changed owners a few times with the story staying the same so a few people have been screwed over already.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
If (and that's a big *IF*) a dealer did a 427 conversion in '66, they would not have started with a 136 car. Too many parts to change on a small block Malibu (brackets, etc). No way a '136' had a dealer 427 conversion, IMO.

EDIT: Did anyone else notice the '70-72 casting number on the 12-bolt? Rear axle is not even the correct one for the car, as '66 housings were different. That's a 71-72 2.73 open rear stamp on the axle tube.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
I can't read the paperwork on my phone, but does it say anywhere that the "427" was installed at the dealer in 1966? Technically a dealer could have built a 427 out of a 454 truck motor and installed it in 1995 and it would still be a dealer installed 427 correct? Jim

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Not to be the devils advocate but...
The ad states it has a 427 400hp engine.
454 block with a 427 crank?
Ad doesn't say it has original dealer installed engine, but the car itself had came with a dealer installed 427ss package.

A bit deceiving if you ask me.

It pays to do your homework.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I think they are relying on the story to sell the car. They don't actually say it still has the dealer installed engine but I would guess they are hoping you don't ask.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can't read the paperwork on my phone, but does it say anywhere that the "427" was installed at the dealer in 1966? Technically a dealer could have built a 427 out of a 454 truck motor and installed it in 1995 and it would still be a dealer installed 427 correct? Jim
There is a picture or photocopy of a sales invoice that claims an L72 was ordered from parts dept for the car and installed. It looks sketchy to me.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
It is possible the sales invoice is real but it is fairly obvious that none of the running gear in the car now is the same as when the car left the dealership.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts