Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 71 Malibu two-door w/air (350 engine) and have to replace all wiring harnesses because of prior owner(s) misuse. Frankly, the wiring is a mess. I also have to replace the dash. Have most of the components and a like-new dash. Problem is that the wiring behind the current dash is all screwed up by boom box installations and other nonsense things that predated my captuting the car.

I need wiring diagrams and manuals for this. I am completely ignorant of wiring for cars and want to do this right.

Help, Help

Thanks in advance

------------------
Tom Walch

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If you buy a service manual for your car from any of the Chevelle parts houses it comes with fairly detailed wiring diagrams. Make copies of those once you get 'em, 'cuz they get greasy fast.

$20.00 well spent. I picked mine up at Ausleys, and then found a wiring diagram booklet at a swap meet for $2.00. It looked exactly the same as the service manual.

I also bought an assembly manual just to see where things are supposed to go/be. After almost 30 years alot of stuff (at least on mine) has been used and abused.

------------------
DG

Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 05-16-99).]

·
Premium Member
6,912 Posts
I would rather take an @$$kicking than do the work on my dash that I'm doing right now. I just disassembled the entire dash and wiring.

I would heavily recommend having a parts car for reference. If you start with a new underdash wiring harness, there are all kinds of little nuances about the bends of the wires and groupings that would be very frustrating without having a reference, especially if what you are starting out with is substandard. It's a little easier if it's a non-a/c car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Man, I'd rather rewire my car 4 times than wetsand it once.... Must be because of all of that electrical engineering stuff they brainwash me with at school.

I agree with DG, you should spend the money for an assmebly manual, there is a lot of stuff in there, including wiring diagrams and pictures showing how the wiring was routed.

You Chevelle guys count your blessings!!! Unlike the Chevelle where you can pop off the dash pad, my Olds Cutlass had to be rewired with the dash out of the car and from underneath.... Tom, since you are installing a new dash, install as much of the dash wiring as possible with it on the workbench. those connectors are rarther finnicky sometimes.

-ian-
Chevelles rewired: 4
Electrical fires: 0

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Tom
Are you aware that complete replacement harnesses are available from Ground Up Restorations? They are the sponsor of this site. Get a FREE catalog from them at 1-516-248-4567 or visit their web site at www.grounduppm.com .
They also may have wiring diagrams and assembly manuals.
While putting it back together pay special attention to the ground connections -make sure they are clean and tight. There are many problems posted in the troubleshooting section that were caused by bad grounds.

------------------
Rick Schaefer
72 El Camino
ACES # 00140

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm right in the middle of a malibu to SS dash swap. I had no problems - really, I thought it would be a monster but it wasn't. My advice - do it SLOWLY. So slowly you'd think you were moving backward. Stop, ponder, read the ASSEMBLY MANUAL, eat a donut, have some DECAF! (Not regular, it will only make you nuts.)Take days off. You'll be much happier!

Here's what I did. I carefully removed the old dash and set it aside. It's your reference. Mark each connector with masking tape. The new dash's connectors shoud look the same. Set every bolt and nut aside into the proper groups. Just be very deliberate and mark everything.

You'll need to lower the steering column to get to the dash nut just above it. You also need to loosen and unbold the column firewall cover.

getting the firewall connector apart is a little challenge. There is one bolt in the middle on the engine side and two long screws on the interior side. After you disconnect, carefully pry the two apart.

Get the Assembly Manual. There are several pages of wiring diagrams.

Be carefull about the heater/AC controls. The SS dash had a vaccum controlled lever unit where my malibu had just a cable unit. I swapped the malibu into the SS with no problem.

Patience and more patience!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Year One also has everything you need including all the books and the wiring harness for just about any part of your car. First step is not to just start hacking and slashing, get the wiring diagram from year one and start marking everything then take it out. Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.