Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying thanks to everyone who has helped with my many mundane questions. Here is my situation: I bought a 72 ss 454 4spd car that I have have found numerous wiring problems with. It seems that this 72 came from the factory wired as a 71. The wiper wires and the horn relay on the radiator panel gave this away. The 3 major harnesses from the dash, engine and forward lights are all cut up and burned. I have a 70 ss dash and complete wiring harness and a 72 forward light harness. The car has a 454 with HEI and a ford remote solenoid along with a T10 4 spd. Does anyone have a suggestion on what engine harness to get and if the 72 light harness will work? Are the horn relays and voltge regulators the same between 70-72?will the ignition switch/backup light switch/brake light switch work with the 70 dash harness? M&H wiring harness told me only fix was to rewire the entire car as a 72 using their products. Not much help there. This is my 3rd chevelle and I have never seen a 72 wired from the factory as a 71. I am truly pulling my hair out on how to go about skinning this cat. But as everyone knows, I would rather push my chevelle than ride in a slowpar!

72 SS 454
4spd T10
12 bolt posi

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
What is the build date found on the cowl tag of your 72? Just trying to determine how it could have gotten 71 harnesses.

If you want to use a 70 dash harness. I recommend you get 71 forward lamp harness and engine harness. You will need to modify the lamp harness to connect to the signal/marker/park lights. (the marker light connection may not need to be changed)

The wire locations of the bulkhead connector on the 72 lamp harness will not match up with the 70 dash harness. The 72 lamp harness doesn’t have the main power feed wire (connects to the horn relay), it has the windshield wiper wiring that needs to be in the engine harness, it doesn’t have the amp gauge wiring, etc.

M&H will modify the harness for the HEI, not sure about the ford solenoid you may need to do that yourself. The ignition and brake switches are the same and will work with the 70 harness. The backup light switch connection is the same, if you have the correct switch mounted on the steering column and you have the reverse feedback linkage from the trans to the steering column then it will work. The horn relays are not the same the 68-71 relay is different from the 72. It’s likely you have the 68-71 relay.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elree,
The car has a build date of 1st week April 72. I manage to contact the last 2 owners and they both told me that the harnesses were never replaced while they had them. This car was an original 402 ss, pewter silver with black bucket interior, domed hood(non flapper type). Still trying to tell if it was an auto or manual as the colunm and dash show no signs of it ever being an auto. The forward lamp harness that I got from ebay was listed as a 71-72 but the seller could not tell me which year for sure. I s there a quick spot to tell? Thanks for all your help. 1SG Eric Clemens

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Quickest way (for me) is what we talked about in your last thread. That is the position of the wiper connector. It's in the engine harness on one year and on the lamp harness for the other year. Can't double-check which was which at the moment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like someone installed a dash out of a 71 since they are basiclly the same. Could have even come out of a Monte. Your car probably had a malibu and someone upgraded it. Don't think it came that way from the factory.

Dan

------------------
71 SS Chevelle
468 cid
Muncie M-21 4 Speed
12 Bolt 4:11 Posi
Acting Like it Wasn't Me

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Short of having the original build sheet or invoice I guess you could say anything is possible, but after talking with 2 previous owners who would have nothing to gain by lying say the car was a 402 SS, pewter silver with black stripes, black bucket interior, domed hood, f41 suspension, and convienience light group. They both say that the 15 years that they owned the car it was never a malibu or ever rewired. If it has been faked it is the best faked in the country. I have been thru the car from top to bottom and the "ss" specific parts look as though they are 30 years old and in combination of the overspray on parts that are definately original, I would say no way. All this is a mute point because the car is mine now and I love it the way it is SS or not! They car will be mine to drive until I am no longer able to see the road! All I am trying to do is get the car back on the road before I am reassigned to Hohenfels germany in Mar of 03. Yes the car will be going with me. I appreciate everyones imput, good, bad, or indifferent. This site is truly amazing and I will be taking it with me and passing on the Chevelle gospel!

So that said I have a 72 SS currently wired as a 71. It is Elkhart green with white stripes, 454, 4spd, 12 bolt posi, 15 in corvette ralleys, flowmaster exhaust, and runs like a scalded dog when it is bright and sunny out!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIGSARGE:
All I am trying to do is get the car back on the road before I am reassigned to Hohenfels germany in Mar of 03. Yes the car will be going with me. ...and runs like a scalded dog when it is bright and sunny out!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Autobahn! The 7 is a nice run on the weekends. Don't believe passing on the right is allowed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts