Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm changing my automatic to floor a shifter with a console from a column shifter. The tranny is a Powerglide. I bought the splice kit from Year One that goes from the console to the main wiring harness. The problem is the connections on the Orange and White wires are different going from the console to the main and also there is a gray wire(like the one thats for a the dash lamps)but none on the main. harness. Also what color are the wires that are for the neutral safety switch and the other connection on the shifter switch? I have the green 1967 Chevelle book and the wiring diagram's wire colors have some of the wires a different color. Any info will really get going.
Thanks Mike

·
Gold Founding Member
63,776 Posts
Don't really know if the 67 wire colors are the same as mine or not but;

Orange and white are light on rear of console
(white being the ground from the door pillar switch and Orange being a hot wire)

Purple wires to neutral safety switch (automatic trans)

Gray wire = instrument light for console shifter indicator

I think the back up light switch wires are Green (automatic trans)

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3

A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69
14th annual ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals pictures

A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken
spirit dries the bones.

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 08-21-2001).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Back-ups are Light Green. Right rear brake/signals are Dark Green. Would have been real hard to mixed them up anyway. On two different connectors.
**(Make back-ups flash with right signal. Confuse the guy on my back bumper. Just a thought)**

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean & John
Thanks for the info. The info you sent me will really help. The route of the wires and colors you told me match with what the book says. The only thing is my new orange and white wire splice ends don't match up with the factory one. I also found in Year One a wiring harness splice for the neutral safety switch. The only thing right now is the brake switch has to purple wires going to it and like you said Dean "the purple are for the safety switch." The book also backs this up. John you mentioned "the ends can only hook up one way." Right now thats the only place I can see for the purple wires to go to. Once I receive the other harness splice from Year One I'll let you know what is up.
Thanks John and Dean of your help. Now at least I know the book is correct to fix my mess.
Mike A.C.E.S. # 4456

------------------

[This message has been edited by stearns2 (edited 08-22-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I talked to the guys at M&H (M&H is where Year One bought it.) They said "DON"T splice my wires if I can't find the plugs for the orange,white and gray wires. Seeing my car never had a console I won't have the correct plugs. Right know my clock in the dash only has one orange wire to it. He said "IF my wire harness is in REAL GOOD shape and not all cut up and spliced together. I can ship it in and they'll make all the corrections (for a fee) so that the dash wiring harness has all the correct plugs for the console. If the dash harness is in rough shape he said "just buy a new one for my Chevelle that is for a floor console. Also if anybody else goes to do this, you'll need 2 splice kits. 1 for the neutral switch and 1 for the light and shift indecator light. They also recommend replacing the console wiring while your at it. You can contact them at www.wiringharness.com or call 562-926-9562. THEY ARE VERY FRIENDLY AND HELPFULL.
Thanks Mike
A.C.E.S.#4456

1 - 5 of 5 Posts