Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 65 Elky, and I believe I have the original wiper motor in there. It looks original anyhow. So, I put a painless kit in this weekend, and was kinda stumped on how to wire up the wiper motor, as it wasn't wired up previously. There's three prongs on it, which leads me to believe it is a two speed motor. I tried hooking up 12 volts and a ground to the various plugs, with mixed results. Anyone know how to wire this thing up correctly?

Also, it's got the washer pump on it as well, but I think it's shot, as I couldn't get it to run with 12 volts applied to it. Looks like I'll be getting another one of those.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I tried that, and my results weren't the same as the post said they should be. Not to say that this motor isn't shot, but this is what happened :

To get the thing to move, I had to wire +12v to the middle of the three posts, and then put the ground on the bottom post. When I did that, the motor was spinning counter-clockwise pretty fast. When I say counter-clockwise : I was looking at the back of the motor, at the actual actuator. So, if you were looking at the motor from the front of the car, it would be spinning clockwise. Anyhow, I removed the ground, like described in the post, and the motor returned to the rest position. I then moved the ground wire to the top post, and the motor again turned to the rest position and stopped. If I put the +12v on the top or the bottom terminals, I couldn't get it to move.

Needless to say, I'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Am no electrical expert, but have new M&H wiring in my 1965 Malibu with a 2 speed wiper. The top washer pump wires are blue and yellow from left to right as you look at the unit. The bottom 3 are black, yellow, blue, from left to right. The yellow is the hot wire which is pigtailed to the top for the washer. I believe the wiper switch acts as the ground. For a good thread on testing the wiper switch, do a search on 'KEN67Rat'. Also, there has to be a star washer on the pass. compartment side of the wiper switch according to the Assembly Diagrams.
Good luck.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts