Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired an old school bus to use as a tow vehicle and I would like to add a work light on the rear for loading my trailer etc. What I need is to have a switch by the back door and also from the drivers panel. What do I need for switches and how do I hook it up. I am a real idiot when it comes to this kind of stuff, so go ahead and talk to me like a three year old. I picked up some mini rockers today that are single throw, but three prong with the middle prong in and the two outers are one side or the other hot. They looked like they would work, but I need a schematic or something. Thanks-Dan

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Simple 12v 3 way. I am not addressing 110v here.
Juice middle of one switch. Wire top of switch A to top of switch B. Wire bottom of switch A to bottom of switch B. This will leave you with middle of switch B open. This is your output. With both switches up "+" will connect to the top wire, run down the top wire, and connect back to the middle. Move either switch and it won't get through, move both and it will again.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks-that makes it look idiot proof even for the king of goofs.
I knew it couldn't be too bad, but I can screw up just about any wiring without even tryin.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Like he said - when you go to Rat Shack or the Parts store ask for:

2) SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw)
OR
2) "ON/ON" type switches

They'll have 3 lugs on the back, one of them (usually the center) will/might be labled "Com" (common).

Get a good switch, something that'll handle at least 2A and has a stout handle. Stay away from the cheapy ones that have plastic levers.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Originally posted by chevellenut:
Simple 12v 3 way. I am not addressing 110v here.
Juice middle of one switch. Wire top of switch A to top of switch B. Wire bottom of switch A to bottom of switch B. This will leave you with middle of switch B open. This is your output. With both switches up "+" will connect to the top wire, run down the top wire, and connect back to the middle. Move either switch and it won't get through, move both and it will again.
http://home.howstuffworks.com/three-way.htm
Do you mean like this ?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's it! I bought a couple of switches out at the Winnebago store(they make them here) and should be able to get the bus fixed up and on the road soon. Thanks buckets!
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts