Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from the boneyard and I got two Taurus electric fans. (One for a spare) It fits the radiator nicely. This is a race car only. There already exsists a switch and relay for an electric fan. My question is, with the Taurus fan it has two wires coming from the plug. There is also a smaller gauge wire factory spliced into one of the wires. Should I delete that spliced wire? Does anyone know what it's for? Thanks for your help, Tony. :confused:

·
Registered
532 Posts
These are 2 speed fans, can't remenber which wire is which, but 1 wire is ground, 1 hi speed, 1 low speed. Here is a link to a site that has a wiring diagram, but they only wire high speed. I also have a taurus fan, but wired both speeds. I have low speed wired to run automatically through a heat switch and relays. I have manual control over hi speed through relays when I need it, I use a SPDT switch on it, as you cannot energise both speeds at the same time. I have run the taurus fan for 2 years now and its cooled my 461 BBC with no problems.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.shtml

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks alot Wayne. My friend used to live in Winnipeg and he says that's where all the fast street cars are! Tony A.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Originally posted by chevywidow:
Hey thanks alot Wayne. My friend used to live in Winnipeg and he says that's where all the fast street cars are! Tony A.
Winnipeg does have its share of "Muscle Cars", especially for its size!!!!

"My Classic Car" with Dennis Gage has done 3 episodes here, so far!!!! Hopeing for more!!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wayner,
Is there any way you could provide a diagram for the wiring setup that you used. I am also interested in this upgrade and want to benefit from both speeds that the fan offers. Thx in advance for any help!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey CRUZ68, I wish i could. I didn't follow a certain diagram, but used a combination of the drawing from the Ford site I posted, but modified it to wire both speeds of the fan. I have low speed completely automatic, a thermo switch in my rad turns on at 200*F this sends power to a 30 amp relay to energise low speed, the power wire feeding the thermo switch comes from 1 side of a SPDT toggle switch. The other side of the toggle switch goes directly to 2-30amp relays I have wired in parallell for high speed of the fan. So 1 position of the SPDT toggle switch sends power to the thermo switch for low speed, when the thermo switch makes, it sends power to the single low speed 30 amp relay, the middle position of the SPDT toggle is off, no power to either speed of the fan, the last position of the SPDT switch sends power directly to 2-30amp relays wired in parrallell that energises high speed. Clear as mud right???? Sorry I don't have a diagram.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I forgot to clarify why I use 2 -30amp relays for high speed as opposed to a single 75 amp bosch relay.
I get 12VDC 30 amp relays for pennies, so instead of purchasing a 75 amp relay bosch or whatever, I used 2 -30 amp relays wired in parallell, which i was told would handle the current of high speed. Its worked for a couple years now, but have only used hi speed when i get stuck in slow moving traffic on hot humid days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts