Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a complete dash out of a 70-72 Monte carlo its complete with the fuse block and wiring harness, but I was wondering if I can undo the engine and light harness from the fuse block and plug mine into it(72 chevelle), so I don't have to rewire the whole engine. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
bump
:confused:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I've never heard of a "'70-'72 Monte Carlo". While the dashes might look the same, there may well be wiring differences from year to year. If it's a '72 dash, your odds for "plug and play" success are much higher. If it's a '70 or '71 dash, something may have changed.

I don't know for sure, but I think if you have the same items on both dashes, it should interchange (assuming they're both '72 models). I don't think GM would have made too many different variations on such a theme.

For instance, if you have "idiot lights" in the Chevelle dash, and the same in the Monte dash, they'll probably plug right in. If, on the other hand, one has gauges and the other has idiot lights, they'll be different.

I also believe that the engine harness would plug in either way. Whether you have an idiot light or pressure gauge, the wire should enter at the same point. I don't know, but it seems logical that it would have raised production costs to have done it different ways.

These are just guesses since I have no experience with wiring any Chevelles other than '68. I have no other wiring diagrams either.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I'm not sure about a '71, but a '70 and a '72 are not the same as far as the engine harness goes. If I remember right you can remove and re-configure a few of the pins to make it work. If you have a few bucks you can pick up a Haynes 1969-1987 manual at Autozone and it has the idiot light diagrams for all the years so you can see the slight differences. It does not show diagrams for the gauges.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts