Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank You, my name is Mark and this is what happened. I decided to install a MSD 6A box, blaster 2 coil, pro billet distibutor, all wiring done by the book. When I read the manual on (run-on) I installed the resistor in line with the alt, did not work. So I rewired the alt as was written in Tech#14, still having the same problem. When the car is running, if you pull out the small wire from the back of the alt the car stops. If you leave the wire out, the car starts and shuts off normally. Is it ok to leave this wire unplugged? I also have a three terminal isolator in line to charge the additional battery in the trunk. One wire from alt, one from battery, one goes to the rear, I believe. Is there something I have missed?
Plz e-mail [email protected] or reply Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Mark,

I'm going to be honest, I'm not familiar with the MSD system. In this post were the opinions from others that seems to be down the same alley:

http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/000626.html

Perhaps the diode wasn't placed in the right location. Just don't get "diode-happy" like some people have, they are not a solve-all-problems component. They only allow current to flow one way. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with more info.

Happy New Year!

Happy Y2K001 Everyone!

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 01-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Coppertop, if it stops when he pulls the wire from the alternator wouldn't that indicate that is the wire that needs the diode?

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I had the same problem with my 66 chevelle when I installed the MSD6A. I followed there recomendation for installing the diode. I believe that it went in-line with the alternator wire going to the regulator. Just follow there diagram and make sure you have the diode orientated properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts