Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wiring problem in my 67 malibu. Everytime i try to start the car the positive wire from the switch to the coil burns up. I have looked over everything and can't find where the problem is. Please help. You can also email me a [email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Wires burning are caused by too much current. You have a short somewhere. If you are replacing the entire wire from switch to coil, then the problem is probably the coil. When you replace the wire make sure it has no bare spots or cuts in the insulation.

------------------
Rick (Abilene Texas)
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4
Aces #00140
TEAM CHEVELLE #00038

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have replace the coil and checked the fusable link both are in good comdition. The problem i believe is in the dash harness. I just dont know where to look.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That wire should be a "resistive" wire. Other automakers used a fixed balast resistor mounted to the firewall. GM used a special type of wire with (higher than normal) resistive properties. This is generally there for saving the points from burning if the ignition key should happen to be on, with the engine not running, and the points were closed. Also, I think this is fused. The fuse should blow before any wire burns out, even if someone had replaced the resistive wire with normal wire. Anyway, it is possible to install a fixed ballast resistor to replace the resistive wire. Can't help you to locate one except to say that there was a thread (quite) awhile back on this. The ignition system on these cars is pretty simple.
Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
has anyone ever had this problem or no how to fix it

[This message has been edited by ngdiver (edited 10-24-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.