Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a B&M shifter into my '67, and I'm trying to wire the back up lites and neutral safety switch into the new shifter. There's 2 purple 12ga wires running into the switch on the steering column with a pink and lt green coming out. The wiring diagram shows pink and lt green for both the lites and the safety switch, but I can only find the pink and lt green I just described. Not being an auto electric genius, I assume these are the neutral safety switch wires...the purple stay where they are and the pink and green go to my shifter. If I'm right about that, then where do I find the pink and lt green for the back up lites? Any "light" anyone can shed will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Don The pink and lt. green wires are for the backup lights. Connect them to the switch on the new shifter that is closed when reverse is selected. The purple #12 wires are for the neutral safety circuit. Connect them to the switch that is closed when park or neutral is selected. When adding to the neut. safety circuit- use #12 wire, make good connections, and don't use a wimpy switch as this circuit can cause starting problems.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Elree,
but are you sure about that? The wiring diagram shows pink and lt green for both the neutral safety and the backup lites, and it shows them at a 20ga wire. I assume the switch is sufficient since it came with the shifter, but I don't know if it'll handle the 12 ga purples. Not that I'm doubting you...just don't want to fry things out...you understand how that is.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
DaDon, The back-up lights and the neutral safety (start) circuit are used at different times, hence two circuits. Is the wiring diagram for the shifter or the car? You should go by the one for the car. The shifter manufacturer may not care about the back-up lights because the shifter is for a race car.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 04-05-99).]

·
Registered
423 Posts
DaDon;

I pulled out my "factory" wiring diagram (hint, hint)for a 64 (it's about as basic as they come), and Elree is correct on all counts. And listen to his comments on wire size and connections!

One way to set this clear in your mind is to think about what the lines do. The neutral safety switch has to work the starter (actually just the solenoid), the back up light line just works two light bulbs!!

Wes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the wiring diagram for the car Wes, but I got a bit confused when it showed the same two colors for both the lites and neutral safety, and all I could find was one set. I knew you guys would help set me straight. That's what sets this site apart from all the rest...what would I do without it?

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is great, I asked the same question in another section because I'm doing the same thing on my 70. Luckily the 70 wires are the exact same colors and now I know what they're for. Now I just have to go pick up the switch for my Pro Stick and hopefully wire it up correctly.
Thanks folks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.