Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any have followed my posts in the last two weeks,I decided to return my $289 Sears 120V 6HP/33 gallon direct drive oil-less portable unit in favor of a 240V 7HP 60 gallon belt driven oil-lube upright unit. It just arrived from the Sears warehouse and I picked it up at the store.
Now, while I consider myself qualified to work on most any car, the same is not true with home wiring. This unit comes with no cord, just a hook-up box on top of the compressor.
The unit will be placed approximately 5 feet from my circuit breaker box in my garage.This minimizes long pipe runs.
How difficult is it to wire one up? I am pretty sure if I call an electrician it will be a few hundred bucks.
Has anyone wired a compressor with 240V before?
I am assuming I will need a main switch box (the compressor is rated at 240V/15A), an additional double breaker for my main breaker box and wire.
Any tips are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Well, it certantly should not cost a few hundred bucks for an electrician to run you one source of 220 for a compressor. You can do it yourself though. If you have any electrical experience, get yourself a 20A breaker and some 12/2 romex, an outlet and hook it up. I installed a cord and plug on mine and then installed a 220V outlet in the garage as opposed to having it hard wired to the breaker.
Jim

------------------
My 70 Chevelle
Best ET [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Epistuff (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I believe this unit has the pressure switch right on the compressor and doesn't require a magnetic starter, right.

Use 12/2 BX. This is the armoured stuff, ie it has the metal jacket wrapped around it. Also, get a 2-pole 20A circuit breaker and a couple of BX box connectors, either angle or straight as they best suit.

On the BX, cut it to length, strip it and then put the little red wire protectors in the ends. I have also used electrical tape or a combination of the two because you can push the armour back and wrap the wires inside with tape so they are protected when you release the armour. Or, you can tape the red protectors inside the ends of the armour. Now, put the end connectors on it.

Turn the garage power off and remove the panel cover. Then, its just a simple matter of installing the breaker and the wire between the panel and compressor. The ground wire is connected to a ground screw at both ends and the 2 power wires go into the breaker terminals and the power screws on the compressor pressure switch.

Tie wrap the BX around the top of the compressor and strap it along the wall to the panel. Make sure all the connections are tight and give it a try.

The BX is usually rated for a higher current so if you compressor draws less than 20A I'd think 14/2 BX would work. I have 14/2 BX on my compressor but it draws around 15A. I have a feeling that your compressor is the same thing. Mine's the Campell Hausfield 6.5hp, 60 gallon.

Peter

G

·
If the unit is rated @ 15amp use a 20 amp breaker and 12 Gauge wire... most breaker are set to trip at about 80 percent rated capacity

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.